Batch of NEF

I shoot both JPEG and NEF. When I want to convert multiple files from NEF to JPEG, I use the filter: NEF only, select those and run the batch-process. The problem is, that the process ALSO includes the JPEG-files so there is BOTH the original JPEG-file and the new, converted NEF-file! Why is that??

Not sure, but I will take a look tonight. When you say you use the filter, can you send me a screen shot of the Batch options so that I can correctly mimic what you are doing? Either PM, email or just post in the thread.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I take NEF+JPG as well. I always put all the NEFs in a separate folder. So no problem.

I expect you have found another little bug. It is best to work around them and not try to fight them.

CNX2's batch process asks for a file directory, so it will process all the images in that directory.

Just move your JPEGs out of that directory to a temporary location, run the batch process, then move the JPEGs back.

Richard,

That's a slanderous statement!!:smile:

Sparky's right - no matter what filter you use in browser and whether or not you highlight any or all files, Batch wants to know the Folder name and processes all files.

Use the software the way it was intended and you'll not get problems.

DG

Real Name
Dan
Are you saying it alters the original JPEGs or you just end up with two sets in the folder? If you are as indicated "selecting" NEFs to convert and placing them in the same folder, then yes you should end up with a copy of the NEF, the newly created JPEG, and the original JPEG. If I'm not mistaken the system will rename one of the JPEGs or if you tell it to overrite it will create a sub-folder titled "original" and move the original JPEGs into there.

But I use ViewNX2 and CaptureNX2 in concert and sometimes get confused about which things I do in which one which isn't a problem when I'm sitting in front of the screen with them and currently am not :frown:

Did I confuse the issue well enough? :rolleyes:

I don't think, it alters the original JPEG's, they are about 2Mp and the NEF-converted about 10-12Mp.

Test carried out:

I put two files in a folder - the NEF and its JPEG.

I opened NX2 and Batched the Folder to a different folder and set JPEG 100%.

The Nef and its JPEG were both processed.

Result:

Original NEF - 26.637Mb
Original JPEG - 7.211Mb

Processed NEF/JPEG - 10.803Mb
Processed JPEG/JPEG - 9.311Mb

If you have NEFs and JPEGs in the same Folder in a Batch Process it processes both.

This is exactly what I would expect.

DG

Henrik,

It has been years since I have used the Batch process, but the Help files are reasonably clear that all photos that are in the folder that you select will be included in the process. All of the images in the subfolders of that folder will or will not be included, depending on how you configure the pertinent setting.

The Filter that you mentioned is only a display filter; it has nothing to do with which images are going to be included in a Batch process.

Henrik,

It has been years since I have used the Batch process, but the Help files are reasonably clear that all photos that are in the folder that you select will be included in the process. All of the images in the subfolders of that folder will or will not be included, depending on how you configure the pertinent setting.

The Filter that you mentioned is only a display filter; it has nothing to do with which images are going to be included in a Batch process.

OK! Thank's a lot, Mike!

:smile:

OK, so I have to make 2 separate folders when I capture my Pictures?

FWIW it's worth, I create a folder for NEF's and subsequent jpgs; eg:

Pictures
-> 2012
---> Christmas
-----> NEF

I use ViewNX to cull/move the NEFs I want to keep. I then process, edit the NEF's to suit. Once done, i hilite all the NEF I want as jpgs, right click and select either "File Save As" or "Load Adjustments" and save the files as jpgs to the upper directory "Christmas".

If I just want to convert the file I select Save As; jpg. However I usually apply some adjustment for jpg purposes by Loading an adjustment setting that I have saved previously - eg: [Resize 1800*1200, USM_40,5,5, Contrast+5]

Either method will prompt you with the location and type of file to save as.

OK Brendan! Yes, that's one way to do it! it is not often, I will run into this problem, I think, so if I, NeXT time, shall convert a lot of JPEG's, I can sort them in Windows in the folder they reside in and ctr_A click, right click and choose captureNX for editing.
Thank's for input!

Latest threads

Top Bottom