Battery age already showing '3' after only 4 months???

I just noticed that my newest EN-EL15 (that came with my V1 last December, serial # starts with 201208xxxx) is already showing a '3' in the battery age indicator... My 2 older batteries are still at '0'!

Is this normal? Should I contact Nikon about it to ask for a replacement?

Cheers

Mike

Not EVEN normal, Mike...but I don't know what (if anything) they'll do for you unless it dies w/in 1 year.
FWIW I have 4 that are over 2 years old and a total of over 200K shots run thru 'em...all still read "0"

Not EVEN normal, Mike...but I don't know what (if anything) they'll do for you unless it dies w/in 1 year.
FWIW I have 4 that are over 2 years old and a total of over 200K shots run thru 'em...all still read "0"

That's what I figured, Will - I sold one of these batteries a while ago with my D7000 and that was still reading '0', too...

I think you're right - as long as the battery doesn't die within its 1st year, I don't think I have a warranty claim :frown:

Cheers

Mike

I have a battery on my D3 that when it got to 4,000 clicks jumped up one increment and is still on there at 16,000.

Batteries seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. I bought two batteries when I bought my D300 in 2008. With almost 65k shutter actuations on the camera now, both batteries still read ‘0'.

I have two D2H bodies I’ve had for years and used hard. One battery reads ‘0' and the other reads ‘3'.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue, and the culprit is the V1, apparently! Thom Hogan mentions fast battery aging in the V1 in this article:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/nikon-1-lessons-learned-on.html

Battery Life — Bring plenty of extras. Between the EVF and the fact that VR remains powered on constantly when the camera is on (assuming VR is turned on at the lens; see next point), you can drain batteries fairly quickly with the Nikon 1 models. Which is a bummer, as I'm convinced that there is a flaw in the V1's firmware: EN-EL15 batteries age quicker on a V1 than they do on a D800. I've now had the chance to verify that in practice by isolating new batteries: the same number of charge cycles on a V1 produce faster aging than does the D800. Considerably faster, as in reaching 4 within months of use on a V1 while the same batch of battery is still at 1 on my D800. Nikon denies this can happen. It does, and I'm not the only one that's discovered it. The sad problem is that the V1 will refuse to use a battery aged 4, while the D800 will continue to use it just fine (and seems to show no degradation of number of shots that can be produced with that battery). The V2 doesn't seem to have this same problem (though it uses a different battery).

Hmm...

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom