Battery Grips

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rgordin, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Are they a worthwhile investment for a Dxx if you are not primarily interested in faster shooting?

For example, how much do you find they assist in vertical framing vs. the additional weight? Any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks.

2. Oscar M

Oscar M

Jun 25, 2008
    New York
    Some people love them. I think they are just big and bulky.

3. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I have one on the D80 and I absolutely love it

it definitely adds size, but I added an extra battery, so now I could probably go for days without recharging, haha

if size is an issue, then probably not a good idea, but I like the ease of vertical shooting with the grip

4. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    I have the battery grip and will only use it when traveling and the sort, it makes the camera heavier and bulky.

5. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    I used my D200 for a long time without one. LOML bought me a MDB-200 for Christmas and now the camera seems naked without it. I know that I'm not charging batteries any near as frequently as before.

good luck,

6. I love the grips and always have. It adds a lot of stability shooting both portrait and landscape orientations.

I always found that the bodies alone, dug into the palm of my hand, the grip makes it much nicer to hold. And I shoot a lot of portrait orientated photo's so having AF-ON, Shutter release and command dials there is very useful, and makes it much easier to hold 2.8 lenses without bending your wrist around the body to get to the shutter.

7. I use my grip all the time on the D200 due to the way the D200 rips through the batteries but I really like that it gives my big hands more to hold onto and I find the vertical/ portrait shutter control invaluable.
    As an aside, it also keeps my girlfriend from using my camera as it is just too heavy when paired with the beast.:biggrin:

8. I have one for my D200, wanted the extra battery capacity. Used exactly once and it sits on the shelf now. Made the camera too heavy and large, didnt help with vertical shots.

Only thing it really did was make folks notice the camera and go wow, nice camera.

Of course YMMV.

9. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I find that once you get used to using a battery grip, it is very hard to keep your shots level at portrait orientation if shooting without the grip.

10. I used one with my D80 and it was just an added luxury. If you shoot a lot of portraits, need added battery life during sessions or need extra weight for balance then the grip may be useful.

I don't have one for my D200 and not likely to get one anytime soon. I don't miss having the battery grip. Popping new batteries in is no problem for me during sessions.

11. cant use a dslr with out one due to having "wide" hands/palms, the english term being "Broad" hands, but I thaught most of the cafe members might think i have ladies hands!

Anyway, if noting else, as a pro the extra battery life is essential.

12. I've used motor drives and power winders almost since they were first available for film cameras and I wouldn't buy a DSLR body today that didn't have a vertical grip available or built in.

13. LOVE mine! I use it to frame portraits without bending my wrist at an odd angle. I have small hands and always had trouble twisting and turning the camera before the grip. Now I just flip it around and shoot! LOVE IT!

14. Love mine on my D300. Thought I would take it off when travelling but found that I quickly became used to the added weight and love the feel. For vertical orientation it is extremely useful and I find myself more apt to turn the camera now.

15. pward76

pward76

Apr 6, 2008
    iowa
    I'll second that. I get "What newspaper do you shoot for?" a lot.

I have one on my D300. The only time it comes off is to charge the internal battery. Oh, and I took it off once to read the serial number on the D300

16. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Wow. This is most helpful. One of my concerns was whether the grip would make the camera too heavy. Apparently the additional weight is more than compensated for by the balance. This explains why the one time I held a D3, it was surprisingly comfortable.

17. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Took the MB-D10 off for the first time since I got it. Hated the balance of the body without it. and all my portrait shots were mis-aligned.

18. Yes, it's a very nice balance. It's helped me tremendously with portrait oriented shots.

19. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I rented an mb-d10 for the week and was hooked immediately, i shoot about 60% vertical so it helped tremendously and gives the camera a good feel and weight to it.

20. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I shoot lots of travel photography - which means I shoot landscapes, street shots, architecture, "events", just about everything. And I shoot a LOT of verticals.

I used one on my F100 and it was fine. However, I never put one on the D200. Now I have the D300 - so I'm again asking the question "Do I or don't I get a grip!"

The 24-70 is already making the camera seem really big and heavy. I don't need the extra power. So...unless I get a chance to try one, I probably won't get a D300 grip. Money is better spent right now on faster, big CF cards, p0ortable storage, etc.