Battery meter - is it predictable?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ednaz, May 16, 2005.

1. So, when my d2x battery meter lost one bar, I slapped the battery into the charger with the usual sense of panic that I learned with my D100, where by the time the battery meter showed usage, you didn't have much life to go.

Then I thought, there's a lot more bars here. And it's a more sophisticated camera. Are the bars predictably proportional to battery life/battery drain?

I shot over 350 frames on a charge yesterday without any change in the battery life indicator. Had it on from 10am until 5pm nonstop. That's pretty nice...

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    According to Thom Hogan's review (www.bythom.com), the meter is much more accurate and much more granular. You should be able to get lot more than 350 frames on a charge.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The battery % indicator is *very* reliable. I have shot down to the meter showing 1% capacity left and the camera still fired.

4. oooh, I like this camera more and more

this'd be the first battery powered object in my life that has a battery meter that means something.

5. Yes. It's amazingly linear.

The first 10% and the last 10% of a charge gives you about the same number of shots.

I shoot, review, chimp and show off the great LCD screen with wild disregard for power consumption and I have an extra battery I hardly use,other than alternating it.
    I get 6-800 shots easily and charge when I get down to 20-50% left.
    Everything in life should work so well.
    Most of my experience in with my 30K shots on the D2H but the D2X seems to be the same animal power-wise thus far.

6. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Very reliable, i recently got 2010 shots with around 4% of power left. It has to be the best battery system in any SLR to date!

7. James, in order to get that amount of shots, what settings did you use? Just jpgs and fine, medium of low?

Thanks,

8. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Hi,

I shot a mixture of RAW and JPEG fine i also dont use the LCD much, i use a AFS lens (not VR) i have found that using the menus eats up battery life.

Hope that helps.

9. Thanks James. I knew using the LCD burns up battery life but didn't know that using the menus would.

Also one more thing that is different on the X that was not on the S2 and that is the X always seems to be on, something like a standby, even when it is turned off and I have found that if I don't take pictures on a regular day to day basis, that the battery runs down also. Whereas when the S2 was turned off, it stayed off and the batteries did not run down.

10. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    When the D2x is switched off the only drain is to the LCD on the top of the camera which wouldnt use that much power. If your camera battery is loosing power quickly then i suggest a trip to Nikon?

The drain shouldnt be that high, i can leave my d2hs for days and come back with only 1 % less power than when i left it. Seems odd the the d2x is different.

11. Thank you James. I might just have to send it back to Nikon. I have a spare battery too that I will have to test as well.

12. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Sounds like a good idea, test the spare battery as well, if that does the same then my guess is an earth leak on the camera, which should be found with Nikons test software. (I hope)

But i hope its just a duff battery and the spare doesnt do it, let me know how you get on, Cheers

13. James, I wanted to say that when I check the battery level in the camera, it says no calibration necessary so should I still calibrate it or not until the camera says so?

14. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    No calibration is not needed, i only do it when the camera tells me to. But i am no battery expert so someone else may say differently!

Cheers

15. jumbocrab

jumbocrab Guest

Does anyone know if the battery icon in the top LCD panel is accurate? When I'm down to about 50% (as indicated in the menu), the battery icon on the top LCD only has one bit missing (the first triangular small bit).

16. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    The LCD on top of the camera is a bit hit and miss for battery accurancy. The best way to check is in the LCD menu on the back of the camera, this is extremely accurate IMHO.

17. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Vernon has stated it well, even on my D2H (D2X uses the same), I take it it to the last bar many times.

When I do gig shoots, always carry a spare battery.

I get 600 - 1000 shots per battery.