Battery Pack

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Simba909, May 2, 2007.

1. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Looking for recommendations on a battery pack for the SB-800. Quantum makes a model that attaches to the bottom of the camera at the tripod thread. Does anyone here use this? If not what could you recommend.

Thanks

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
  3. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Heard some goo dstuff about the Al Jacobs packs, the Black box for really high capacity(note:not faster recycle) and the tuxedo for smaller and lighter

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I use a Quantum Turbo for events. Works great!

5. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the info

6. I have the SD-8a Nikon packs and they last a long time and recycle it fast.

7. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I have the quantum turbo, just got it back from Quantum, they replaced the cells and fixed some things, it is 9 years old though. It works great for 1 flash.

8. you can also use the Quantum Bantam battery... i have seen used around $60 and they do re-cell them, also cable for sb-800 used for around $30... lighter and cheaper than turbo... i am actually looking for a cheap turbo since i have the cord..

9. Jerrold

Jerrold

May 7, 2005
    London, UK
    or there's the "digital camera battery" (dcb) they have two power ports like the quantum turbo x2. You can get a variety of sizes and can power the camera as well.
    works for me :)

10. I currently have the Quantum Turbo as do many others. They just released a "slim" version of the Turbo, but it's more expensive. If you're looking for something lighter than the Turbo, the slim version may be for you...

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I have one of Al Jacob's Black Box and his smaller Tuxedos. As has been said they will not give as fast recycle times as the Quantum batteries. But I paid $220 for both battery packs. They give me an easy 1000 -1300 flashes. They may give me more, but that is the most I had to shoot before I had a chance to recharge them.

Another thing to consider, the big Black Box is a 6.5 volt battery. Not sure about all the Quantum packs, but I believe most are higher then that.

See this chart on their site.

What this means is that the Black Box provides the same power output as standard AA batteries and is much less likely to burn out your flash unit.