Battery Question (D40)

When the battery on my Canon was nearing the end of its life, it would take fewer and fewer photos before needing to be recharged, until finally I'd be forced to buy a new battery. But with my Nikon (a D40), the battery just stops working. Is this normal, or could there be an issue with my camera?

The original battery lasted about 2.5 years, which was fine because I shoot a lot. Then it just died. No gradual loss, just died. When I went to the camera store and asked them see if a new battery would work, they just gave me the battery they used to test it. That was very nice of them, but I have no idea how old that battery was and now 3 months later it did the same thing.

Should I be worried, or should I just pay closer attention to when my battery is getting old?

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
Normal. I'm not familiar with the D40, so I'm not sure if there's an indicator which shows battery life. In any case, I would just remember to give your battery a charge every couple of weeks, (or more often if you shoot a lot) rather than letting it fully discharge (wouldn't want that to happen during a shoot!)

Sometimes lithium ion batteries, even brand new ones, can simply die without rhyme or reason. I see it a lot with laptop batteries. The chances are that the battery for the D40 is actually comprised of 2 separate cells, and it only takes one of these cells to go bad to render the entire battery useless. If one of the cells in the battery has discharged past a certain amount (normally less than 3V) then safety mechanisms cut in to prevent the battery being recharged. The reason being is that the cell could short circuit internally, and this can lead to fire, or explosion. Also various chemical reactions that take place in an undercharged battery when charging can cause the cells to gradually swell. This swelling could damage the camera if the pressure is enough to break the batteries outer cover.

Having been witness to a laptop battery which exploded due to an internal short circuit I can fully understand these safety mechanisms.

I got my D70 in 2005 and a few months later the battery was recalled and the en-el3 was swapped with an en-el3e. The battery age display is still registereing as 'New' by my D90 - not even one bar loss in the 0 to 5 scale.

You shouldn't be going through batteries that quickly!

You also have to take into account that wear & tear of lithium ion cells is time-sensitive as well. They simply degrade over time. That's why buying a spare battery together with the camera with the intention to use it when the original one wears out ("in case they're no longer in stock") is not such an effective idea.

In the OP's story this might have been a factor with the replacement that was given, as it was a battery of similar age.

Was the replacement battery a 3rd party battery? I have not had good luck with them. (others have however). A battery failure after 2.5 years does not seem uncommon, after 3 months does.

Was the replacement battery a 3rd party battery? I have not had good luck with them. (others have however). A battery failure after 2.5 years does not seem uncommon, after 3 months does.
Note that the free replacement was a used battery:

When I went to the camera store and asked them see if a new battery would work, they just gave me the battery they used to test it.

Keep topping off the charge. These are not like nicads. I never had a battery go bad and the better Nikons have not only a charge indicator, but a life span used/remaining.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom