Battery Questions.

Battery life on the D700 before needing recharge is short compared to my D40, D90, Canon 5D and 5DMKII.

I use flash a lot with commander mode too, but it seems to have a short life before it needs a recharge.

Is the D700 just a power hungry beast...:eek:

What do you call short life before recharge ?

Depends if you chimp, use the flash a lot, shoot bursts, have VR lenses etc.

I find it to be quite good actually.

The battery life is shorter on my D700 than the D300 I have. However, I do get about 800 shots out of it or more. In comparison, I have used a D1h and it needed recharging after about 200 shots, without chimping too much either. Power hungry is relative.

I have no proof, but I believe the battery life in my D700 is real good. I bought an extra with the camera, it seems I rarely change them out. Julien makes me wonder. Its possible the addition of my 24-70 2.8, not being a VR lens helps. My D300 usually has the 16-85VR on it, seems I am always charging the batteries.....:smile:

There are many factors that effect battery life... ambient temperature, use of the popup flash, VR lenses, etc. But the biggest one is how much you chimp. When I'm shooting casually, I chimp after every shot, and might only get 350-500 shots out of a charge. But when I'm shooting an event and don't have time to chimp, the count goes up to 750-850 shots on a single en-el3e. The d700's battery life is amazing compared to my d200, which is a certified battery hog.

I have the LCD set to review after the shot for 4 seconds, but other than that, I don`t chimp.
I use a VR lens with on board and commander mode flash with my SB900, so maybe that`s why. I would say the D90 used the same way has a better battery usage interval compared to the D700. Thanks everyone.:cool:

whats chimping mean please?

i use 2 batteries and i allways drain before chargeing when i can.
especialy when you first get them.use turn about
you can check them in the camera menue charge and recycleing life

shooting max size in jpeg i easy get at least 1500
i dont have revue on it slows you and screen goes of after a while

i allways buy two batts for cameras phones etc.its a good system

Chimping is looking at the photo on your camera monitor. I am not a chimper.

It's actually a bit more than just looking at the LCD. It's looking at it incesantly after each photo, showing it to the people around you … that sort of behaviour. Just looking here and there a few times doesn't count as chimping. :wink:

I'd say that your 4 sec review is a major contributor to the problem.

Yes. But using the D90 in the same exact manner, the battery would last considerably longer.
I`m talking at least a day or two of regular shooting with about 200 pix a day.

This is why I noticed it right off the bat and was wondering.

I guess I`ll do a shot count test and see what it gives. Thanks.

It's actually a bit more than just looking at the LCD. It's looking at it incesantly after each photo, showing it to the people around you … that sort of behaviour. Just looking here and there a few times doesn't count as chimping. :wink:

:Shocked: That would be the wife....She constantly chimps. I`m just glad she has her own camera and it has a Lithium rechargeable battery....:biggrin:

my battery was at 98% yesterday i took over 700 pictures quite a few with the inbuilt flash
its now reading 37%

ive just started useing my menue its fantastic i can access everything quicker
battery info etc

I haven't tested it on the D700, but the D200's battery life was killed if shooting in RAW. The D200's battery was quite good if shooting JPEG only, but moving over to RAW more than halves the battery life :eek:

I don't think it's quite as bad on the D700 (but only shooting RAW, I can't comment on JPEG battery life).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom