Battle for the BIG FISH....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    One more series from the dam from last Saturday. When they turn the generators on, many fish are stunned, injured, or killed, and the Cormorants and GBH's just feast. In this case, several GBH's went for the same big fish. The one that got it was soon harassed by several others. Here are a few shots in the sequence:

I got it, you can't have it:
    [​IMG]

Dad blast it, now look what you made me do!!
    [​IMG]

Second try:
    [​IMG]

Running away:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh no, not again!!?! :eek:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the dark shots, but it was just very, very overcast, and the poor SB-800 / Better Beamer doesn't reach out to 300 feet. :frown:

Thanks for stopping by. :smile:

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Frank guess Smugmug is down :mad: :confused:
    Wanna see your work real bad, will look again later :wink:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ah there they are and well worth it !!
    Excellent Frank
    what do you mean dark, yeah I can see it was gray but sooooo, your exposures and post work are great.
    Your birds eat so well :biggrin:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    smugmug is having problems. I've been in contact and they are working to fix them. Sorry for the inconvenience. :Depressed

5. These look terrific - what a series!! *LOL* Great captures of the action, Frank.

6. Crack up shots Frank. That GBH was really struggling with the huge fish. I know they can swallow some big ones but that would be ridiculous. Well taken images.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Well, I guess fish are kinda slippery, though I would have thought after he speared it, he wouldn't loose it again! Great series.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Bay, my theory is that these guys are so dumb that they forget that they have a fish when accosted by other herons. They open their beaks to squawk, and ooooops. :rolleyes:

Could be wrong of course. :wink:

9. Very nice series nothing wrong with these at all too dark?? I don't think so seems like a realistic capture of the environment that day

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great series Frank..

Haven't you got these guys named yet :>))

Make funny cartoon caracters with thier antics. lolol

Great series of images.

11. Nice series Frank!

The struggle to get airborne with that large fish is very evident and you can almost hear him say "Oh ****!" when he drops it for the second time.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous as always Frank.

13. Fantastic shots Frank.

14. Frank, I haven't noticed the low light... I was FAR TOO IMPRESSED by your series!!!

It seems that you have a winner combo, D2H 300+1.4x that is... and you have mastered it well.

I know that a 400mm would be a great addition to your ...skills and I wish you make the right decision and ...buy it :wink:

15. awesome pics

each one a real gem :)

16. Very nice series Frank. Did he ever get to eat the fish?

17. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    The last two are my favorites. excellent capture.

--ricardo

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the extra kind words. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we have found a real shooting paradise here at the Guntersville dam. Not only do we have GBH's and Cormorants, but an occasional Egret. And, it about 4 - 6 weeks, the Eagles will be back to start another family. It's about a 40 mile drive from my house, and I've made it every weekend for the last month. Probably go back again Saturday morning. :rolleyes:

To answer a question asked by Jim S, this fish got away uneaten as far as I could tell (but judging from the spearing, not alive). After the second drop, they finally gave up.