Battle: Sigma 85 1.4 vs Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF

Have the Sigma 85 1.4 on the way, wonder if it can succeed in bumping the Nikon 85 1.4D out of my bag??? We shall see...will post comparison shots when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I am predicting you'll keep the Sigma because it pretty much beats the 85D in all aspects besides bokeh (which is subjective)

I'll be curious to see which one you decide to keep

ive done this a few months ago and guess which i ended up with .

but that does not mean anything , different people have different preferences.

Just got the Sigma, only had time for a quick test shot at 1.4... Will try to do some head to head shots this week...
@1.4
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

perfect shot, where was the focus pt ?

Randy, I always aim for one of the eyes when shooting people. In this shot the focus point shows dead on where I aimed it below.
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But I have been having issues where a lot of my shots are not in focus and I have been messing with the focus adjustment for each lens thinking it was the lenses at fault but now I think my D700 may be to blame because if I bring the out of focus ones into Capture to view the focal point it seems all of the out of focus ones show that I missed the eye. This is disturbing because the subject is not moving in these cases and I know I had the bracket on the eye like in the one below. Wonder if this is something that can be adjusted. I have been getting this behavior with all my lenses.
View attachment 883074
Here is a strange one where the focal point is on the left eye but the right eye is in better focus...
View attachment 883075
But one it is accurate it looks great:
View attachment 883076

Last edited by a moderator:
On the D700's Focus Point Selector switch are you choosing the middle or the last choice towards the bottom? I think the middle choice has the AF assist points and sometimes the D700 will focus right next to the point you choose sometimes.

Real Name
Randy
Randy, I always aim for one of the eyes when shooting people. In this shot the focus point shows dead on where I aimed it below.
http://www.pbase.com/daveja/image/134047904/original.jpg

But I have been having issues where a lot of my shots are not in focus and I have been messing with the focus adjustment for each lens thinking it was the lenses at fault but now I think my D700 may be to blame because if I bring the out of focus ones into Capture to view the focal point it seems all of the out of focus ones show that I missed the eye. This is disturbing because the subject is not moving in these cases and I know I had the bracket on the eye like in the one below. Wonder if this is something that can be adjusted. I have been getting this behavior with all my lenses.
http://www.pbase.com/daveja/image/134047910/original.jpg
Here is a strange one where the focal point is on the left eye but the right eye is in better focus...
http://www.pbase.com/daveja/image/134048053/original.jpg
But one it is accurate it looks great:
http://www.pbase.com/daveja/image/134048069/original.jpg

i assume you shot this afs and 1 sensor hot (bottom selection on the camera's AF mode) ?
and afs is set to focus priority

On the D700's Focus Point Selector switch are you choosing the middle or the last choice towards the bottom? I think the middle choice has the AF assist points and sometimes the D700 will focus right next to the point you choose sometimes.

I use the single point on the bottom for portraits

Latest threads

Top Bottom