1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Battleship Wisconsin, lots of photos.

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Tom Larsen, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    Norfolk Virginia is home to much of the US Navy, we also have the old battleship Wisconsin as a major tourist attraction downtown. The exterior of the ship is open to the public every day and admission is free. Following is a small selection of hundreds of photos I have taken on or around the ship. If you want to see more pictures I have linked to a larger selection below. All of the photos can be downloaded in full size. If you go to see the ship you should also go in the parking garage across the street, the stairwell on the corner gives a very nice change of perspective as you ascend all the way to the tenth floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are in the area, there are other photo opportunities. As you pass through Nauticus to the battleship, you pass through the Naval History Museum (also free) with a nice collection of models and artifacts. You will need fast glass to get good results there, but it will be worth a try. You can also visit the Chrysler Museum and hop the ferry across the harbor to the Portsmouth waterfront.

Here is the link to the rest of the photos:

http://gallery.me.com/tom.larsen#100174&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=5

Cheers,

2. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Good Composition

I enjoyed your photos of this great ship - particularly the one showing the carts of cloth-wrapped powder that were used to power the main armament shell. What lens and exposure did you use for this shot?
    Thanks,
    Tony

3. Nice shots. I made several trips to the USS Missouri when she was moored in Bremerton, WA. Such a sense of history and power!

4. great pictures
    awesome ship
    nice of you to show it to us

thanks

5. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Spent many months at sea aboard her for the first Persian Gulf War. Greatest class of ships ever made IMHO were those Iowa class battleships. I also spent 6 months aboard the Iowa right after turret two blew-up.

6. Great series. The size of these ships is amazing. Those big guns are still capable of inflicting serious damage to the enemy. Interesting to discover they can be returned to active duty if required. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

7. Nice detail of the grenade tied to the tower with a small cable.Are they affraid someone wanna steel it?
    Great (in anyway) ship!

8. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Those are really great. I especially like the plan showing the interior spaces. We don't have that for the Texas. It's an older class but still a formidable ship. They are constantly working on it to restore it.

9. Can you go down into the ship???

10. Great set Tom.

It's a beautiful ship.

11. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks for the comments

Tony, the shot with the powder bags was taken with my old D80 and the 18-200VR. The link to the photos will allow you to see all the EXIF data, if you have a specific question.

The ship has been in the inactive fleet and the interior has been preserved for quick reactivation and therefore off limits to visitors. The information boards around the ship provide a lot of information, but they usually photograph poorly because of glare. The 16" guns are amazing, and so is that fact they can fire them in 30 second intervals. There are some amazing photos in Wikipedia showing what it looks like when they fire a broadside, the ship literally moves sideways.

I have posted photos from three different visits and they are taken with a D80 and D300 with the 18-200 and the rest with the D300 and the 24-70 f2.8.

Here is one more picture, this from the Naval History Museum next door.

[​IMG]

http://gallery.me.com/tom.larsen#100182&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

12. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    If you are asking about the Texas, yes, you can go inside the ship. They have a standard tour and also periodically they have hardhat tours that cover even more inside.

13. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    A few years ago I went aboard the USS Massachusetts which is moored in Fall River, Massachusetts. You can go below, all the way to the engine rooms. I'd been a fan of WW 2 battleships since I was a kid and being from the Midwest, had never had a chance to see any Navy ship up close. I had a great time. Would love to tour an Iowa class.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.