Batwa

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you very much for your comments!
Originally, I didn't want to post these pictures because they've put an emotional burden on my shoulders.
These pictures are taken during my Ugandan trip and I originally didn't want to pay a visit to these people but after a discussion about the necessity to talk about these people, I did it.
At first I still felt uncomfortable but I was then invited in the chief's cabin (together with another elderman and translator). I asked different questions and at a certain moment the Batwa began to clap in their hands. I asked what was happening and the translator told me it was a sign they accepted me. The feeling I got at that moment cannot be described with words...

The Batwa were hunter-gatherers, an ancient pygmoid people who traditionally foraged mainly within the interior of forests. The lifestyle of the Batwa has subsequently been compromised by several factors, ranging from forest clearance to intermarriage with neighbouring tribes to misplaced missionary zeal. Most significant, perhaps, was the forced resettlement of Batwa living in forest reserves and national parks, coupled with tight restrictions on their utilisation of traditional resources within these protected areas, that occures during the colonial and post-independence eras. Today, an estimated 1700 Batwa eke out a peripheral existence in Kigezi, many of them living in artificial villages outside their preferred forest home...

source: Uganda: the Bradt travel guide

Excellent images Rudy.

Thanks for sharing these shots and their story with us.

Regards,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the late reply (I don't visit it here everyday mainly because an upcoming Africa event with some fellow photographers).

Wow. Such a great example of the power of photography. These are absolute treasures and such important images. Wow. I admire your ability to so skilfully and sensitively capture these moments.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom