1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Batwa

Discussion in 'People' started by jamesjoyce, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Excellent shots Rudy!!! I like them all!

2. powerful stuff. Any backgroung info to help tell the story?

3. Great series..... yes, more info behind the pics would be interesting...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well taken images
    Rather sad

5. Hunmbling work Rudy.............. beautifully shot.............

G

6. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Thank you very much for your comments!
    Originally, I didn't want to post these pictures because they've put an emotional burden on my shoulders.
    These pictures are taken during my Ugandan trip and I originally didn't want to pay a visit to these people but after a discussion about the necessity to talk about these people, I did it.
    At first I still felt uncomfortable but I was then invited in the chief's cabin (together with another elderman and translator). I asked different questions and at a certain moment the Batwa began to clap in their hands. I asked what was happening and the translator told me it was a sign they accepted me. The feeling I got at that moment cannot be described with words...

The Batwa were hunter-gatherers, an ancient pygmoid people who traditionally foraged mainly within the interior of forests. The lifestyle of the Batwa has subsequently been compromised by several factors, ranging from forest clearance to intermarriage with neighbouring tribes to misplaced missionary zeal. Most significant, perhaps, was the forced resettlement of Batwa living in forest reserves and national parks, coupled with tight restrictions on their utilisation of traditional resources within these protected areas, that occures during the colonial and post-independence eras. Today, an estimated 1700 Batwa eke out a peripheral existence in Kigezi, many of them living in artificial villages outside their preferred forest home...

source: Uganda: the Bradt travel guide

7. Rudy.......... thanks for the explanation behind these images............

Puts our lives into perspective.............. ever so slightly........

Yous are a good man to bring this story to us...........

G

8. WOW... Moving photos, thank you for posting!

9. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Great post. The story behind such moving photos make them even more meaning full.

10. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Excellent images Rudy.

Thanks for sharing these shots and their story with us.

Regards,

11. Rudy, WOW...these are fantastic!!

12. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks everyone! Sorry for the late reply (I don't visit it here everyday mainly because an upcoming Africa event with some fellow photographers).

13. Very impressive work!! Thanks for posting these.

14. LizBug

LizBug

Mar 3, 2006
    Atco,NJ
    wow powerful shots. thanks for the story

15. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Wow. Such a great example of the power of photography. These are absolute treasures and such important images. Wow. I admire your ability to so skilfully and sensitively capture these moments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.