Bay Area photographer facing legal action from Golden Gate Bridge officials over controversial photo

Well sounds like he has a habit of trespassing. If he was smart, he'd take the shots from a boat. Looks like you could get a similar shot from a boat just off the shoreline and he wouldn't be trespassing either.

Real Name
Chris
Play stupid games and get stupid prizes. If you make the conscious decision to trespass in order to get a photo, then you had better be prepared for the consequences. Sadly, the rest of us reputable photographers will get saddled with public opinion on stuff like this. He probably could have asked them before hand and given them a license for use and all would have been well.

I was watching a video by one of the "well known" UTube pundits (wears his hat backwards). It was about the Oregon coast and he was at a pullout. Said he, "Let me just hop over this barricade so I can better show you what we can see here" I bet he's encouraged a lot of folks to do likewise!

If he was in an areas with public access, that's a different story. On top of that he's only getting a cease and desist letter. I'd just comply in this case and photograph something else. Not worth the hassle. There are hundreds of bridges to shoot!

He's better off just giving the photo away for free and milk the publicity!

Sigh
It is always the minority that creates problems for the majority.

And you wonder why we have problems with teenagers, when we have adults who ignore the rules, then flaunt that they ignored the rules. Great negative example for the kids.

I was watching a video by one of the "well known" UTube pundits (wears his hat backwards). It was about the Oregon coast and he was at a pullout. Said he, "Let me just hop over this barricade so I can better show you what we can see here" I bet he's encouraged a lot of folks to do likewise!
would that hapodn to be the same UTube a**clown who spun donuts in his SUV on a dry lake bed in Eastern Oregon?
that one really didn’t sit well with me.

My wife and I were visiting the Didyma Temple of Apollo in Turkey in 2008. When the site closed, we went across the street to enjoy dinner. That was when a large bus full of students entered the site through a big hole in the fence. They were from an American university (I don't remember which one) and their leader was their Turkish professor. I told them it was not right to break into the site and that it represented America very poorly. I suggested that the least they could do was figure out a way to leave the price of admission at the unmanned ticket booth. The professor gave me a lecture in front of the students about how I didn't understand Turkish society. The students chimed in trying to make me out to be the person in the wrong, not them.

I gave up and returned to join my wife in the restaurant. She thanked me for trying to persuade the group and also mentioned that our waiter had told her in my absence that she must be married to a crazy man. When he returned to the table with our food, I let him know that he would not get a tip and that if he delayed presenting the bill or bringing the food as a form of retaliation, the bill wouldn't be paid.

As we walked from the restaurant to the car, a Turkish owner of one of the small retail stores walked up to me and thanked me.

When I returned to America I wrote a letter to the head of the university. He wrote back and said he would ask the professor about the situation to get his side of the story. I never heard from the university again.

Last edited:
It is all about the "ME" generations, where it is all about them.
A friend called them the "entitled" people. They are "entitled" to get/have/do whatever they want, regardless of the rules of society, laws, or what effect their behavior has on others.

We have one in California that is so bad, that it even has a name, the "California stop."
There are drivers that will honk you, for stopping at the red light or stop sign. Because they intended to run the red light or stop sign.
And a green light means watch out for the person who is going to run the red.

i stumbled on that one, the guy in the silver jeep. different fellow than the one who spun donuts in the lake bed.

The lack of respect is not unique to youth of the USA. A couple of years ago while visiting the gannet colony near Auckland, NZ, over the course of an hour or so I saw several people climb over the fence to take selfies with nesting birds. None of said people were speaking English. Humanity being self absorbed is nothing new. Just a different manifestation of it nowadays with cell phone cameras and social media to easily display one's arrogance to the rest of the world.

Real Name
Bill
Tourons (tourist morons) are a common occurrence in Yellowstone. Every year there's more than a few that get off the boardwalks and walk over the thermal features to get better selfies or something. This goes along with trying to "pet" the wildlife. This behavior isn't resigned to just foreigners as Americans are just as bad.

Real Name
Chris
In court, wouldn't the Bridge District need to prove that he didn't take it with a drone, or other means not involving physical trespassing?

And hey! The photographer's name is Getty. Maybe he has delusions of photo-agency.

In court, wouldn't the Bridge District need to prove that he didn't take it with a drone, or other means not involving physical trespassing?

And hey! The photographer's name is Getty. Maybe he has delusions of photo-agency.
“Getty says he went around security fencing near the bay level at low tide.” That statement might damage any physical trespassing defense he could muster up. My recommendation to Mr Getty is that keep his mouth shut when discussing this incident. Drones aren’t allowed around the bridge, the signage is “Unmanned Aircraft/ Drones: Launching, landing or operating unmanned or remote controlled aircraft/drones is prohibited near the Golden Gare Bridge”.
A good move at this point would be the tried and tested Twinkie defense, or claim he was abducted by aliens in a spaceship and forced to commit this heinous crime.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom