Baylands Preserve

It's been 6 weeks since my last visit visit to Baylands Preserve, and I was anxious to see the young egrets and herons in the rookery. I wanted to try my hand at bird-in-flight shots, too.

79767706.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 98468

Don't the Black-crested Night-Heron have spooky eyes?

View attachment 98469

Even Canada Geese are cute... until they grow up :rolleyes:.

View attachment 98470

Momma Night-Heron seemed a little alarmed that her baby doesn't resemble her... or the father!

View attachment 98471

Twins seem to abound in the rookery.

View attachment 98472

These little snowy egrets never left each other's side...

View attachment 98473

View attachment 98474

... and sometimes it was hard to figure out when one ended and the other started :Confused:

View attachment 98475

The way the adults kept going after nesting material, you'd think there was another wave of egg laying about to begin.

View attachment 98476

It sure is relaxing at Baylands. I'll try to make my visits more frequent.

B

bfjr

Nice Frank

Ugly Babies and Great photography a good combo here :biggrin:

Thanks, Ben and Tony!

Ugly Babies and Great photography a good combo here

Far from great photography, but I think youngsters of every species are designed to be cute/photogenic.

The BCNH chicks cracked me up. They don't resemble the adults at all, and apparently won't for their first couple of seasons.

79767831.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These guys were very aggressive about demanding food... to the point to appearing to attack momma! And since they're almost her size, I'll bet she can't wait till they fledge.

View attachment 98478

On the other hand, the Snowy Egret's kids look like them, but they are shape shifters by nature. They usually keep their necks tucked in, and when they stretch them out, they look like a different species.

View attachment 98479

View attachment 98480

The biggest differences between adults and newborns, though, are seen with the Canada Geese. They're actually cute when they're kids.

View attachment 98481

Latest threads

Top Bottom