BBQ Photography

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 1, 2007.

1. I attended a bbq party yesterday for some friends who are moving out of state. It was a good chance to practice backyard photography. I used a single flash through an umbrella, mounted on a "human lightstand" :wink:. Here's some samples.

View attachment 103669

View attachment 103670

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Great photos UF I keep thinking maybe I'll see someone I know in one of your photos.

3. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    looks fantastic frank.

they almost remind me of an insurance commercial or something. both the quality and the aesthetic. you know...happy people, enjoying what they do, because they know if something happens, giganto-conglomerate has their back. ;)

definite step forward in your work (the strobist thing in general).

looks like fun was had by all. :D

cheers,
    david

4. Hey Frank, I remember the couple in the last photo.

Let's see that human light stand.

5. Troy, what part of town do you live in? I'm near Leland HS.

Davo, thanks for the encouragement! I think the Strobist stuff has improved my results more than a new lens or camera would have.

Roy, can't do on the lightstand. If it had been a pretty girl, I'd have taken a picture, but it was a grizzled old guy... like me.

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Frank I'm down at Santa teresa & Cottle. I remember some of your shots from the YMCA not sure witch location, My wife goes to the one on Santa Teresa & Allen.

7. I'll bet I know her. I've been going to that gym for 16 years. Some of my pics are hanging in the lobby.

8. Nice images Frank, it is hard to beat a human lightstand. Looks like you have a good one.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wonderful images, Frank ...did u get your human light stand off Ebay? lol
    ;-))

10. LOL! Thanks for sparing us.:biggrin:

11. UF,

Which shoot-through umbrella are you using?

12. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This may seem silly to ask, Frank, but do the guests ever wonder why you bring elaborate equipment to these kinds of social events (elaborate defined as something more than a P&S, I guess), or have you just built up enough of a good reputation that it's pretty much expected?

13. Everybody expects me to show up with gear, Dan. They'd be disappointed if I didn't.