BCNH + Herons with D2X and VR 200-400

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Boobie Joe, Jun 9, 2005.

1. All on tripod and most with the SB800 as a fill light when mentionned.

original.

original.

Upclose and personnal ...

original.

Super slow shutter speed ...

original.

original.

Hope you like them ...

2. Increadible images Yves...!!! :shock:

One should wonder how you managed to have such a clear subject with that slow speed, but I guess the rare curtain sync is the hint here.

Yves, once again you have provided inspiration to us all thru your technique.

So, is the 200-400 bazooka your new toy? ;-)

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Guest

was this superposing of the heron over a long exposure pic ????

nice picture though. something very different.
    do tell us how did u get the heron so sharp for as long a 2sec !!!

rgds,
    Kaushik Balakumar

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Mosre excellence & great technique

Makes my very amatuerish work really pale next to these. You're setting the bar really high for all of us. My questions for you this time are, why such a closed aperture, what does this Rear Curtain Sync do for the shots, and are these birds paid actors? ;)
    Oh ya, is all this new equipment yours or is it borrowed again? You know we gotta keep up with your latest acquisitions! ;)

5. Amazing work Yves. I am not surprised on the 2 sec image working with rear sync and a hunting heron does not move all that much. Super examples of the capabilities avail with this combo.

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like the last one alot.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots BJ. I'd be interested in why you chose rear curtain, just for my own education. Was this just for the fill on the birds?

Thanks,

8. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Reart curtain synch, as far as I understand, opens the shutter for the allotted time (in many of these pictures almost a second) to allow for proper exposure of the background, and to get the water to have that flowing look, then it fires the flash immediately before the shutter closes, givingg you your subject in sharp detail.

9. Thx Panos,

First off, the subject has to be super still, not a problem with the BCNH but often a slight problem with the GBH.

I did use the shutter delai function to enable anti-shake and I used a cable release (MC-20) for the shutter. Most are focused on Manual Focus.

10. Read my answer to Panos explanations are there.

11. Re: Mosre excellence & great technique

Closed aperture is to slow down the shutter time to get the moving water to blur

Rear curtain holds the slow shutter speed and keeps most of the natural light as the main light and balances the fill flash to be very subtle

Paid actors: Don't be silly, they're plastic birds ... :wink:

200, 300 500 and 200-400 are with be but will be returned eventually to their rightful owner ...

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful work Yves

Thank you for sharing.

13. Rear shutter brings the flash to fire on the return of the curtain and lets the natural light play a major role in the scene. It fills with subtility and looks like it is more absent than present wich is what I like for wildlife in general.

14. You've explained it pretty well.

Yet, the subject moves a centimeter and you get a blured picture ... :lol:

:D

15. WOW very nice love the light on the last GBH shot it is the best