1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Be careful what you wish for - help, advice needed...

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Pixelographer, May 4, 2007.

1. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Nikon Cafe Pros:
    Because some of my pictures have been brought the to attention of a local wildlife preserve, they've asked to meet with me about using (some of) them for their publications. Of course, as an amateur, I'm honored and flattered. As a potential 'semi-pro', I'm concerned about misrepresting myself, asking for too much, asking for too little, etc.
    Need, then, advice on how to handle introductory meeting about this, given these data points:
    Portfolio? Don't have one.
    Prices? No idea.
    Copyrights, exclusive use of pictures? Understand the concepts only.
    Any / all advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ask Jim Fenton
    Pm or e-mail him

3. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Gale:
    Jim Fenton? Member here?
    Thanks
    Dave

4. Here is a place to start for pricing.

http://www.photographersindex.com/price-adv-calc.htm

As to the rest, avoid anything that says "in perpetuity". Always put a time limit on use 1-5 years. Also the usage is for that medium only. If they buy it to make a calendar and then use it for post cards, they need to renegotiate use for the post cards.

Portfolio: Web site? if not how quickly could you throw one together. Or you could burn a DVD of your best images. Time probably prevents you from preparing a hard copy of your portfolio. When selecting images only pick your best. A portfolio of 20 great images is better than one of 100 where 2/3 are mediocre. For myself I am considering printing 2 or 3 different coffee table books for use as portfolios. Mpix.com (as well as others) can print those and do layout with downloaded software.

Hope some of that helps.

5. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Matt:
    Thanks. I've got a website up and will pare it down to the best 15-20 prior to meeting. These I'll put on a CD.
    Appreciate the advice.
    Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.