Be careful where you buy your equipment...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seymore, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

2. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    All readers take heed of this experience. If we shop price only, sooner or later it will happen to all of us!
    Day in, day out, over the years, my best experience has been with B & H Photo. I do not even look any further and recommend them without hesitation.
    F.Y.I.: If you are a member of NAPP you will receive free shipping on all orders, check the NAPP website for details.
    Robert

3. A friend found a good deal ( he thought ). I told him my horror story with mail order, and recommended he use a good camera shop or B&H. His greed won out and he ordered the 'too good to be true' item anyway, and of course was greatly disappointed. I think there are more good photo sources today than ever. You just have to seek them out. Based on my experience, B&H is still a reliable and resonably priced source. Dury's in Nashville offers good prices and service, and they ship. You can find a few things and their phone number here: http://www.durys.com

4. All one has to do is ask oneself: how much would I pay to NOT be in this bad situation? In other words, if you get yourself into one of these messes, is it worth the extra $30-50 you THOUGHT you were going to save!!??? If you bill your time out at over $100 per hour, that's 30 minutes of income, versus hours and hours, maybe even days, of high stress, AND they've got yr credit card #!!
    Buy good, buy once, and buy from a reputable dealer. Don't scrimp a few bucks on that multi-thousand dollar purchase only to be filled with angst, stress and anger. I learned years ago: if the price seems too good to be true, it will be!

5. Sorry to sound like an old curmudgeon..but in this case I am. The fellow in the article asked for it. Just like those stories of folks my age who lose their entire savings because someone promised them an unbelievably high interest rate on their savings...and they took the bait. Letting avarice overcome common sense.

The very fact that he shopped around so assiduously in order to find the lowest cost means he clearly knew the prices and the ranges. It's a replay of the age old story of us males "if some is good...more is better." In this case it's the person paying the least wins.

I'm sorry for the fellow if he loses. However he has all sorts of recourses. The guy on the other end of the line was bluffing because he knew he and others related with that same company are cheats and figured if he screamed enough and scared the customer all would be well and the guy would fold and pay the ridiculous extra charges.

All he had to do was bluff back. "Go ahead and try it and I'll have the (fill in the name) county prosecutor hit with you with a warrant so fast your head will swim; not to mention the IRS. You know as well as I do how many complaints have been filed against you. This time what you are suggesting is felony extortion and fraud. etc etc."

They never learn. "There is no such thing as a free lunch." Corollary...do not buy from the lowest price vendor over the internet. subcorollary..If you have to shop for the absolute lowest advertised price you can't afford the item.

Rich :Curved:

6. I have to say I agree with Rich on this. We sometimes seem to dive headlong into any opportunity to save money, all the while throwing it away.

I am shocked at the number of posts on DPR that begin with something along the lines of "D2X for $2500?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But would these "shops" in NYC exist if they didn't have any takers?

7. I am with Rich completely on this issue. I just read through that whole article, and I did not see one single new piece of information that I haven't known for the past 3 or 4 years! Sorry if my sympathy level is low, but you have to have been living in a cave to not be aware of this activity. I will give the fellow credit, he does admit that he should have known better, but the bottom line for me is that this is not only a depiction of a typical bait-and-switch operation, but also of a consumer who is willing to do anything for the "lowest price". I won't speak to the original poster, but I will refer to a number of aquaintances of mine who will waste hours of time at the local brick and mortar and then go find a $20 savings on-line, and then they complain like mad that they have no good place to go locally to research product. Just illustrates that far too much greed exists on both sides of this fence. And when you read the article, at least to me, I get the sense that this guy is feeling quite important, "highest hits" and all, but has not provided anything new.

Sorry, folks, but Caveat Emptor was never more true than now. And too much greed, on either side, is guaranteed to cause trouble.

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I started buying from B&H around 87 or so. I've used a few other shops, Camera World of Oregon...used to be good..before they were bought out.
    I've only had one problem with B&H in all those years, and then it turned out to be UPS's fault. (proven). I ordered, I got what I ordered..and no funny stuff.

I really wonder how some of these "other" outfits stay in business. Can it be that there are really that many gullible (or just greedy) people in the world?

Just look at Neighbor to Neighbor (photo.net), or Reseller-ratings, pricegrabber, etc. All the horror stories, folks got ripped off. Yet these places are still in business, and the stories go back for years. Amazing!

I also like it when a notorious dealer, all of sudden, has rating after rating of 9 or 10. Very little detail in the feedback. Just "good service, good price..would definetly order again." I mean..please! You don't have to be a rocket science to understand that ruse.
    Yet, folks keep going to these places with their too good to be true prices...and keep posting horror stories.
    Life has enough problems & stress, I don't need to put myself thru extra stress over a few bucks. Neither does anyone else.

-Jeff

9. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
  10. I guess I am just far too sceptical and cynical. When I see a story like this with a very provocative message "reportedly left" on a voicemail, well, let's just say "large grain of salt" immediately comes to mind. Once again, I don't have any sympathy for those who go the route of trying to get something for nothing and then complain when they get burnt, especially when this is such a well known situation.

This poster has an axe to grind, and frankly I think they will say anything they can to support there case, true or not.

Now, I know that this group of stores in NY are a bunch of scum, and most are actually owned by the same folks, but that does not excuse the fools who fall for this crap either. Not only should they know better, but if it weren't for overly greedy people these scum would be out of business. Let's not forget that it takes 2 parties to keep these scum going.

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Many years ago I knew the guy that Paul Newman played in "The Sting". He was an old man when we met, way back when. He had been a con artist all his life, and he said, "You can't con an honest man."

An honest man knows he can't have something for nothing, and that is the basis for a con job. There are short cons, and long cons. A long con usually has the mark losing money in the first round, and then trying to make back that and more in the final round.

But whether it's a short con or a long one, if the deal is "too good to be true" it usually isn't!

Once in a while you find a seller that screws up on eBay and you get an "incredible" deal. For instance there are people who put in hours and hours searching eBay for misspelled postings. Some of these get no bids except the one. (i.e., neklace, camara, dimond, etc.) They buy (steal) the item at a low bid, and then resell for a profit.

But this is different. If only one company is advertising a lower price than everyone else, that's a "big red flag".