1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Be careful where you wade!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, of course, in Florida, you just don't wade into a pond to get a shot, unless your well, crazy, brave, or stupid. Right? In Arkansas, you may worry about a razorback, but no gatorback, right?

how about Tennessee, The Little River below Townsend, seems like it should be ok, to wade into without fear of a gator or croc. yeah, no problem.

Guess again!

4.25 foot Crokodile pulled from Little River

Well, unfortunately, no pictures, but here's the article. I'll be watching the rocks I step on a little more closely. From a second article, I did learn they don't do well in temps below 50 F. So, I guess winter would have wiped him had he not been found, first by a kid that sort of hooked him while fishing. That's why we don't have alligators and crocs in TN. Well, we hope most of the time not.

He's safely on exibit somewhere now.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/23/wayward-croc-captured-sevier-county/

2. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    Just another reason why the sale of crocodiles/alligators as pets should be banned. They are cute when they are small, but unfortunately they grow up and get aggressive. Then they get "disposed of" in the local waterways.

chris

3. How scary! I don't wade in anything for shot, I have a fear of just water in general, LOL! Well, water deeper than a bathtub anyway.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Agreed Chris. Selling them as pets, insane. But "Get aggressive" ? lol. I thought they were always pretty much that.

But really, people should have more sense than to endanger others like this.

Yeah, Sonya, unless it's puddle jumping in the smokies ice cold water, I don't usually wade in either. But if I did. hmmmm Or swimmers in the local river, wow, what danger.

5. If I ever get a home, I want a mote with crocodiles. Yes, that would be great!

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Cute, huh? From this...

606475843_4a18e248d2_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

to this...

606631316_07c0e86ea1_b.png

7. They look like dinosaurs or big snakes with feet!

8. I don't wade in the water either, in fact, I don't even like to dangle my toes or fingers in the water anymore. My husband always makes fun of me by saying "no alligators or crocodiles live here". A few weeks ago I found out that there are 3 alligators or crocodiles living in the swamp/pond 1/4 mile from my office. The local DNR is waiting until they get big enough to transport. The one I have seen was 2+ feet long...I keep wondering how big is big enought to transport.

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I don't think I ever looked into a colder eye than a croc. Winter may not wipe them out, but it should slow them down enough to run.

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    They can be very outgoing, though. Just don't be like this photographer in Australia:

crocodile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  11. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Yeah, lets just ban everything, after all, nobody can be trusted right???

:rolleyes: 

And of course, you already KNOW they were dumped pets right? Hey there are some dolphins trapped in a brackish river near me too, I wonder who had them in the fish pond before they got too big??

12. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Scary, recently, maybe yesterday, I read of a man having an arm bitten off by an alligator in South Carolina, yikes.

I am in Florida and we expect them but it's still frightening to really see one close by, although they were here first, of course.

13. Considering this animal is native to South America, it was probably an escapee. :wink: It may seem hard or unfair to ban exotic pets, but in some areas this is a major problem. Iguanas are not native to S. Florida and eat a lot of vegetation that native wildlife needs. There is now a breeding population of Burmese pythons in the Everglades thanks to the pet trade. Lionfish (not native to the Atlantic) are now spotted from the Florida keys all the way up the east coast towards Jersey thanks to six that were washed to sea after Hurricane Andrew wrecked the house where they were kept.

There are several ways we can try to prevent these things from happening in the future. I believe now in Florida, anyone with a non-native snake for a pet is required to have it registered and PIT'ed so if it turns up in the wild, the owner faces consequences. A little education never hurts either. :rolleyes: 

14. Watch out,"Gigan-gator"...Nice catch:eek: 

15. Usually we don't quote shots, but look at what appears to be sly grins in the faces of the crocs in the front row. Reminds me of a song from Disney's Peter Pan...."Never smile at a crocodile..."

:smile:

16. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Bill, I love that second shot of the alligators, they look so tough

I recently heard of a gator being pulled out of a body of water around here somewhere, I think it was in illinois......undoubtedly an abandoned pet

17. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Both of those shots were from Gatorland, one of the few old-style Florida attractions still around here. I guess they have reason to smile. Plenty of sun, water and food without having to work very hard for it. It's a good life.

18. I can just see one of them thinking...."Hey, c'mon in...the water's fine!"

:rolleyes: 

19. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    So you'd be better of in a small boat with peddles, right?

I guess that settles "row vs wade"!

(Badabum!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.