1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Be glad this isn't your automobile

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Mike Buckley, Jun 17, 2018.

1. We were eating lunch on an outdoor patio at a pizza place when a woman with no passengers parked her car in the parking lot because of noticeable problems and, thankfully, immediately got out. Those of us on the patio initially thought it was steam that was coming from underneath the car's hood. Just moments later when it was no longer white, we realized it was smoke. A guy sitting at a table next to us used the restaurant's fire extinguisher to put out the small part of the fire that was visible underneath the car. Even so, everything rapidly went downhill from there until the fire department showed up less than ten minutes later and fully extinguished the fire. The photo shown below was captured before the fire fighters arrived. EDIT: The photos shown later in the thread displaying lots of fire were also captured before they arrived.

I was using a Nikon 85/1.8 lens on a Nikon D7000. The image wasn't cropped. Despite my distance from the car using that focal length and a 1.5 crop factor camera, I was shocked at the heat I could feel.

Photo #1
    Mike 2018-06-16--050-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Wow Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yikes! :eek: 
    You nailed the shot--focus and exposure!

3. Good shot. I hope she did not like that vehicle. The

4. Thank goodness she was able to park it and get out safely before it burst into flames.

5. Well done Mike, good capture.

6. Recall time??????????????????

7. If it were a Tesla this would be headline news :cool: 

8. Nick sort of reminds me of the pinto I had in 79.

9. Thanks, everyone!

My wife also wondered about that.

10. Though the first photo in the thread is the strongest in my mind, I also sent these photos to the owner of the car and to the person who used the restaurant's fire extinguisher to try to save it.

Photo #2
    Mike 2018-06-16--047-S.jpg

Photo #3
    Mike 2018-06-16--051-S.jpg

Photo #4
    Mike 2018-06-16--065-S.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. As we left the parking lot, we had to go through an adjacent parking lot to ensure that we didn't get in the way of the fire fighters still working with their equipment. While driving through that adjacent lot, we saw a Lotus (sorry that I don't know the model) parked among cars that were surely a LOT less expensive.

12. Indeed.

13. That's one way to celebrate your 35th anniversary!

PS: Was Desmond in town? :rolleyes: :eek: :D 

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Great series. It must have smelled awful...

15. My word Mike. One heck of a series of pics and all well taken, despite the drama. I am sensitive to this sort of thing since my wife had a similar scenario with a Citroen we owned some years ago. Scary stuff. Especially when you consider that electronics control the locks on modern cars.

16. Looks like a GM product?

17. Thats why they call it a Suburu---love.

18. An aptly named one too--Blazer. :ROFLMAO: 

• Like Like x 3
  19. Yep, that's a very old Chevy Blazer ablaze. Could have been the result of poor maintenance. Our mailman drives one like that with over 300,000 miles on it. No major repairs except a transmission rebuild.

Excellent photos, Mike.

20. Thanks, Ron. The only time the smell was bad was when the wind blew the smoke in my direction. That lasted only for about one minute and was before the smoke was as intense as in these photos. One tire exploded but I never sensed the smell of burning rubber.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.