1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Be Harsh! Dont Hold Back!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by CH@Dbee, Jul 14, 2008.

1. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    I havent shot in a few weeks...i have been slacking. i bought this civic to drive back and forth to work so i took a few pictures. with my slackness of not taking pictures i feel like they arent up to par....

let me know honestly what you think...dont go easy on me...

BWcolorcivic.

View attachment 221155

View attachment 221156

View attachment 221157

2. Look a little dark to me, especially 1 and 2.

3. I am not liking the angles in the first two. I really like the last one but the door needs adjusting.

4. veloman

veloman

Aug 22, 2007
    ,UK
    With the exception of pic # 1,you've chopped bits off all of them.Cropping when full of wine aint' a good idea:biggrin:

V

5. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    thats what im talking about people!!!! roast me! :smile:

i did darken then up a bit....i guess too much
    yeah i wish i hadnt shot those in angles but the non angled ones came out like poo
    thank you sir! ill will keep that in mind.

6. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    nobody thinks they are too grainy? that was my main complaint about them...my ISO was too high. am i the only one that sees that?

7. At web resolution, the grain looks fine. At print resolution, it may be a different story.

Edit: Looking back at the first one, I can see the grain, but since it's converted to BW, the grain is not objectionable. Typical of most BW films

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    since you asked :wink:

1. i like the selective desaturation. like dave, i'm not a fan of tilted horizons (do you walk around with your head at an angle?). watch your background; industrial/city shoots usually involve posts, and these have a tendency to "grow" out of the car. the powerlines are also reflecting on the body panels. finally, the lighter-colored sign on the fence on the left is distracting, darken it a bit.

2. much better background, a bit busy but OOF enough. again, i don't like the angle, and watch out for reflections on the body and glass.

3. i like the viewpoint and framing, but the background is ugly, especially the broken tarmac. parking lots are really not the best place for car shots. now you have trees reflecting on the hood, windshield and windows. looks like there's water droplets on the trunk and bumper?

4. major reflections on the body.

not to sound harsh, but you did ask for it :tongue: hope the critique helps.

ricky

9. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    thats why i BW'd it...to kinda get rid of some of the grain.
    Ricky you are the freaking man! its what i wanted and i wish every thread would end up like this. people saying "nice set" doesnt do anything for me, i want to learn and grow and without posts like this that will never happen.

the comment about making the sign in the 1st photo darker is pure genius. so much great stuff in this post! thank you again.

10. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I realize its a black car, but I can't see the bumpers well enough for my taste

11. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    OK, I'm too novice to say much but will agree that for me the tilts don't work, they're a little dark and the misaligned door bugs me. That last is more from wondering if there was damage you weren't informed of or something. It's a sharp looking car overall. Debadging really sharpened it up too. I'm sure you get looks driving it.

12. Looks like you put a really nice shine on the paint. Unfortunately, with all the shadows cast on the car, it looks like some of the body panels are dented or distorted. Also, some of the panel gaps appear to be uneven.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Michael

13. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    thank you so much for being harsh everybody thats what i like! i like it rough :eek: 

the door itself is not misaligned its the black plastic molding is coming off. its one off those things i have to fix since i just bought the car 2 weeks ago with no transmission and no wheels/tires. thanks for the comment on the car.
    yeah with the fresh new paint its hard to keep reflections off the car....but honestly id MUCH rather have paint the reflects and isnt good for photos than dull paint thats good for photos :smile:

14. CougarWilbur

CougarWilbur Guest

Now, what really matters is if YOU like the images. Creativity is very subjective and individual. Myself? I'd crop#1 and #4 nice and tight and print 'em.

For car shots I usually put a polarizing filter on. It really knocks down the flares and clears up the glass. You were fortunate to have an overcast day.

#1 is a great exposure of the car. My eye keeps getting drawn off the car and onto the gate behind the car though. The background would have worked for me if the slats in the fence spanned the width of the exposure. I like the B&W with the selective color.

#2 Don't care for the vignetting. Issues with background, white flowers on the tree over the top of the car, horizontal lines from the 2 roadways.

#3 Composition doesn't click. Without the other images I'd wonder if its an image of a car in a parking lot or a parking lot with a car in it. What were you up on to get that angle? That angle can work if you have water to wet the pavement. Lots of hood, lots of glass is where the PL filter works its wonders.

#4 I like the image of the car, save the water droplets. You could have stopped down some to have the front of the car in focus and in PP have replaced the background.

15. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    thank you so much Keith!!!

alot of the issues you have were the same issues i had with the photos.

keep them coming people...dont be afraid to be mean....im asking for it :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.