Be on the lookout for someone posing as Ray Guiselli

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Catz, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is off topic but I had to write this because I am trying to find out who deceived me. I got an emali from an email address that is DPRREVIEWPOLICE and posed as Ray Guselli and since I am friends with him I opened my heart out to this person not knowing any better.

This person who posed as Ray asked me how I get my money to buy my equipment and as far I am concerned, it is nobodys business. I don't know if they really are from DPR or from this Cafe and if it is someone from here, they need to know it is not their business and it was a cruel act. I don't appreciate someone posing as a friend of mine to get info that does not concern them.

So if anyone here knows who would go by the email address of dprreviewpolice, please tell me.

I can't tell you how this hurt me.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I figured that it is someone from this forum because I haven't used dpr in weeks and I never once mentioned on the Nikon forum that I was a stay at home mom.

Please everyone, help me out and tell me who has the email address dprreviewpolice. Someone has to know this email address especially those that have been here for a long time.

Thanks a lot,

4. I sent you a PM too.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If you still have the e-mail, without opening it, right click on it. Go to options, and at the bottom, you will see all the path info. There might be some info imbedded.

6. Thanks Baywing. That was the info I was looking for and I deleted all of the emails. Darn...Oh well. I didn't want that info on my computer but now I know what to do the next time I get a nasty email like that.

The only info I have is that their real email is dpr179@hotmail.com Do you recognize this email?

Thanks again,

7. Melissa. Pam and I are so sorry that you have been troubled by this idiot.

If they are from the NC. then I for one would want them banned for life.

Best wishes. Bob F.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Hotmail is a web-based e-mail server that is available to anyone. You don't need to supply any personal data to start an account, you can make up info to fill in the blanks. So, not easy to trace. If there was a direct threat to you or something illegal, some local police departments might try a trace, which might lead them to the offenders computer. Not likely in this case.
    Have you emptied your e-mail trash bin? If not, they might still be there. If they are gone, maybe the perp is too. I don't know if you have to register at this site to access e-mail addresses, could be a lurker. Now that the word is out, they might go find their jollies elsewhere. Point is, it might not be a member here.

9. Thank you Baywing, I don't have the email. The only one I have is the one that I forwared to Ray and it won't help.

10. Melissa, I also got an email from dprreviewpolice! I just assumed it was spam and didn't even open it, I just deleted it. So I don't know what it said, or who it was from, but I dont' think its directly targeted to you. But this is really, really weird and I wonder if anyone else received it??

11. Janet,

Well I will be darned. Do you still have the email somewhere? How long ago did you get the email???

You must be right. Spam but...he told me he was Ray Guselli which I don't know why he/she would do that. What upsets me the most is that I answered it and that was dumb on my part. I can't wait to see how many more have received one from this same person.

So please speak up if anyone one of you received one too as Janet and I did. The only reason I opened it was because I thought it was from a dpreview member. Which still could be for all we know!!!

12. I just checked my deleted mail folder here (at the office) and its not there, nor is it in my spam folder. But it might be somewhere on my home computer--I'll look later. I just don't remember if I simply deleted it or marked it as "report spam" which AOL treats differently. I just remember thinking how odd it was at the time because of the dprreview name, so I noticed it.

So please don't let it upset you, as I really think it was some kind of robot. I do know how disconcerting these kinds of things can be!

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Just to say.................

As Melissa knows, I did not send such an unpleasant E Mail.

I would never do that to people in dpreview (many, including Meilissa who are great friends) and also to anyone on Nikon cafe, which I have recently joined.

I am awaiting a response from someone on Dpreview who said he may be able to help as I have posted this issue there for help.

So if anyone can assist, please help melissa as this is a most nasty and unpleasant thing to do.

I can asure everyone that it is noit me, I prefer to spend my time looking and haveing fun processing - I also do not know why I have been picked on i.e. the use of my name.

Must say, who would know that Melissa and i were corresponding re photos regularly??

All very odd.

Ray

14. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This is very odd. Cafe administration is monitoring this thread. If anyone receives any suspicious emails from the previously mentioned address(s) please let us know via PM or email.

Thank you,

15. well I checked my PC back home and I can't find any sign of it; the AOL "deleted mail" folder only holds mail 24 hours so I think it must have arrived before that cutoff. I almost feel like I dreamed it...! But no, I am sure I saw it. Very odd.

16. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    It must have been upsetting.

I'm sorry to hear about this Melissa. It must have been upsetting.

I've had a nasty post on my pbase site that referenced dpreview. Unable to think of any other approach I removed my web site from my dpreview profile. (Given the vicious tone of some posts at dpreview I never put my email address in my profile - and I'm glad for it.) While I hope Nikon Cafe grows and prospers, I really hope we don't get that kind of behavior coming from members here. I believe having a moderated forum will keep most, if not all, of the undesirable activity to a minimum.

My best advice is to forget about it. But I know that is easier said than done. :frown:

17. I removed my email address from dpreview.

18. I have heard of this Rolex guy before. He always gets banned and he always comes back to dpreview. I think it's him. Very well can. Now how do I catch him in the act?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005
  19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Melissa,

Patrick is on this case, and he is very, very good. Give him a little time and he'll get to the bottom of this. :smile: