Beach + Sky.. need critique

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by urban, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hi, all. I took the following picture in a bright sunny day. I like the perspective of the picture. However, the picture doesn't look natural to me. I guess I was shooting against the sun. Any advice on how to shoot against the sun?

On a side note, the picture shows up looking a bit different from what appears on my computer.. I wonder why that is the case.

This is at Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada.

[​IMG]

I took in people's advice and did some changes to the picture.. I guess it's my rather crude post-processing techniques, it looks very photoshopped.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Make sure your posting color space is sRGB. (it may be already).
    The sky is awesome but the beach is uninteresting.

3. I agree with Dave. I like the sky. However, the beach is a bit underwhelming.

4. On my D50, I set the color mode to Mode IIIa, which gives bolder colors. Would this explain the reason my photos look more bland on the internet than it is on my PC?
    Thanks.

5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Try to warm the colour temperature of just the beach (use a different layer and mask it), and decrease the "lightness" of the blues in the sky. Did you shoot this in JPG or RAW?

6. My Powerbook is too slow to process RAW so I shoot in JPEG Fine + L. When I get the new [rumoured] iMac late August then I will start shooting RAW.

I will take your advice and see what the result will look like.

Thanks.

7. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    No they mean the color space. Go into edit in photoshop then click convert profile to and select srgb.

8. To which sRGB should I convert the image?

[​IMG]

9. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Yeah thats the one.

10. Since the default colour space for my photos is IIIa, would that explain why my pictures show up darker on a photo lab's monitor, since their monitors probably are in normal sRGB?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I am not sure about that and honestly i hate all of this color non sense all i can tell you is if you post a picture on the web that isn't srgb then it will look dull.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    It's okay to use color mode IIIA, but make sure your posted photos are in color space sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (commonly referred to as "sRGB")

I agree with Dave and Taylor that the beach is uninteresting because it looks uninviting. Increase brightness and saturation of the the beach (including people), or brighten and lower color temperature, or apply a warming filter (cc05y, cc075y, or one of the Wratten 81 series) and increase exposure compensation. Just a little of any of these will do the trick, but use a mask to confine the changes to the beach