Beach Volleyball - Swatch FIVB world tour stops in Montreal

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Candidcameraman, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Thanks to Jean-Pierre "Fireman" I had tickets for the Beach Volleyball "Swatch FIVB world tour"

The forecast was for rain as such I was not ready for so much sun, my signicant other looks like a lobster.... Thanks for the tickets J.P. we had a great time!

In the woman's category the U.S. faced China, these are the women you'll see at the Olympics and the men's it was Australia against Brazil - both great teams - evenly matched. The U.S. won the Gold in the woman's category and Brazil in the men's category. Two great games for the gold but man oh man those guys can play!

SwatchBeach18rs.

View attachment 104850

View attachment 104851

View attachment 104852

View attachment 104853

View attachment 104854

View attachment 104855

View attachment 104856

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Excellent shots...it looks like you were able to really get some fast SS during the games...they are tack sharp!

3. Awesome series of shots Dude :smile: Would love to catch one of these in person. Been a fan of the AVP for many years and definitely lots of action.

Thanks for sharing.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Very cool....#4 is perfect :)

5. Nice shots! The girls look to be very fit and lean.

Anthony

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Nice series, dude.

7. Great shots!

8. Gorgeous shots.... Mail buddy!

9. Very nice! Sharp and good saturation of colors as well.

10. those outfits really add to the photographic enjoyment of the pics
    nice job
    post more and soon !

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Great googly moogly......I really need to move closer to a beach ...

Seriously....great action shots Dude

12. Thank you, I always try for action picture to keep my shutter speed at 1/500 of a sec, I had some at 1/2500 as well but not in this serie.

Thank you, the games were great it was really high caliber - these are the same folks who will be facing off at the 2008 Olympics.

Thank you, I really like the composition on that picture as well. I am now glad not to have found a 70-200 since using the 85 was perfect from my vantage point. I know why primes are great for sports shooting now.

Thank you, now that I have seen a few more in the sports photography forum, I'll know to try widder appertures next time to really isolate the subjects.

Thank you - there is fir and then there are those girls...

Thank you :smile:

I try, thank you :smile: I think they are this good cause of what I read at Nikon Cafe in the Sports Forum, otherwise I would not have try to freeze the action at 1/500 of a sec or faster (Thank you!). That I learned here now I have to shoot with a widder apperture next time. Gotta spend more time here.

Hummm I got you mail thank you Jimbo! Will reply soon.

Thank you, the D2Hs works wonders.

Yes they do but it is a sport where the playes seem to float at times. They jump so much. I wish I had captured more sand dives.

Toronto was great for this and I am sure there is a place in Montreal for Beach Volleyball. This a tournament finals. Bronze, Silver and Gold winners.

13. Great shots. The placement of the advertising words and symbols is also rather "unique." I wonder if the audience really doesn't know the girls are wearing "bras"?

Perhaps my age is showing ...

Technically, superb!!

Cheers!!

Ken

14. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    The stomach on the one lady is amazing. These are truly very committed people!

15. Thank you and the "BRA" is short for Brazil... For the Bronze match in the women category it was two teams from Brazil. :wink:

I would presume they work hard at it to get at that competitive level, committed for sure :smile:

16. batangueno

batangueno

May 10, 2007
    Philippines
    Amazing shots. Hope to get a chance to watch one someday.

17. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    You did a great job, really nice series.
    Now, I'll go out and try to work on my abs...

18. I don't want to hijack Dude's thread but since we went to the same event together, I might as well post a few of mine here.

-1-
    _D2H2057.

-2-
    _D2H2065.

-3-
    _D2H2083.

-4-
    _D2H2160.

-5-
    _D2H2209.

-6-
    _D2H2239.

-7-
    _D2H2288.

-8-
    _D2H2324.

-9-
    _D2H2395.

-10-
    _D2H2414.

-11-
    _D2H2419.

-12-
    _D2H2423.

-13-
    _D2H2496.

-14-
    _D2H2600.

We really had a great time and as Patrick said, the forecasts talked about possible showers. Not !!! We had a few clouds here and there but it was mostly sunny all day so we all looked like lobsters at the end of the day. It's too bad we couldn't stay near the court to take pictures as the TV producers asked us to take pictures somewhere else. But hey, we're almost pros right so we did not let that bother us too much.

As the Dude also said earlier in this thread, unless something terrible happens before the Olympics, we'll see these guys during the Olympic tournament and hopefully, we'll see them again in Montréal next year. Next time though, I'll be shooting from the court with the other photographers. I can't wait !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  19. Dude!! Great stuff. My faves are #2, 3, 9, the sand coming off their feet in #3 is just too cool, and the timing of the spike in #9 is great too. Nice!

Steve

20. WOW JP! I really like #9 with the ball going through Walsh's arms, and #8 of the expression on her face during the set, so sharp and clear as a bell. #1&2 are just awesome examples of composition and timing. I'm jealous.

Steve