Bear ! B E W A R E !!!! LOL

Keith,

Great pics, 85mm and grizzly bears, were you in a cage.
Actually it was a little weird up on the platforms too. They were like a deck on the back of a house, built on the side of the riverbank. You were about 10' off the ground, but the more you saw the bears climb trees, you realized they might be able to climb up the posts if they wanted you. The bears walked under the platform at times.

Here is a photo of Nan taking the mother and cubs. (the mother is in the crook of her elbow.) D-100 28mm
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The platforms were about a mile hike from the cabins. We encountered bears on the trail two times and also twice right by the cabins. As you now know, it sure could get your heart pumping. The "safe" distance from the brown bears was 50 yards and 100 yards frim a mother with cubs.

You got on the platform by walking up a long ramp from back in the woods. There was a spring loaded gate at the entrance. It had huge big claw marks and what looked like bite marks on it and probably needed to be replaced each season. This did not add to the comfort level, especially when Nan & I were the only ones on the platform for at least 45 minutes one morning.

Brooks Lodge is spectacular to say the least!

Bob & Nan

Keith, great shots!

I know the feeling. I used to go running the bush near here and would occasionally run into a bear. Usually I'd go one way and the bear another, but one time I ran around a corner and surprised a young bear - not even as big as yours. He was about 12 feet away and I had to face him down because every time I averted my eyes he came closer. Eventually I got around a corner and ran to my truck. I drove back up the forestry road to see if he was still there and found that he had followed me for about half a kilometer. Can be pretty scary! We get them in our yard occasionally at night so we have to watch our little dog.

Sounds like you found a great place to stay. Did you get any pictures of Elk?

Thanks Dave............have to say a much different sound from my D100 days, it is a eye opener, but luv that rat a tat tat maching gun. LOL!!! Thanks for looking...........

Thanks for posting Bob, my memory is slowly coming back , remember you posting on dpreview. Now that would be an awesome trip to take. One day!!!

Those are incredible. Call me crazy, but I'd love to be close enough to get that type of shot.

Hi Bubba.........

LOL part of me goes it is highly over rated. :? The other part of me sez that was cool 8) as I would have never gotten that close to get the pics, but your putting yourself in a predicament I dont think I ever want to be in again.............and zoo pics or pics in national parks are just not the same. LOL

Keith

Hi Dennis........

thanks for looking. I did manage to get a couple of pics on elk, although every where, they were very aware of my presence, so any pics from a bit of a distance...........neat animals, I was amazed at how many we seen..........

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom