Bearly Here

Discussion in 'Birds' started by NeilCam, May 15, 2005.

1. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Hi folks, sorry for the absence, but I've been tied up with work and getting ready for my parents to come out from Australia.

What d'you mean no one missed me?!?!?

*#(@ I missed me.

Anyway, moving right along - one of the fun things we did was to take 'em to Yosemite for two nights. Even more funner (I claim this word in the name of the Kingdom of Odd) was seeing a California Black Bear in the wild and actually getting some shots of it. Now admittedly they're not great shots, but at least they're mine. :D :D :D

The thing that does surprise me is that even with the VERY slow shutter speeds (most less than 1/100) and at 400mm the optical stablization on the Sigma 80-400mm works a treat. I know this because I suck at holding a lens still.

Anyway, enough with the unpaid advert, on with the shots:

[​IMG]

Camera model : NIKON D100
    Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:49:34
    Resolution : 700 x 495
    Flash used : No
    Focal length : 400.0mm
    Exposure time : 0.011 s (1/90)
    Aperture : f/5.6
    Metering Mode : matrix
    Exposure : aperture priority

[​IMG]

Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:48:38
    Resolution : 700 x 545
    Exposure time : 0.020 s (1/50)

[​IMG]

Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:49:50
    Resolution : 700 x 516
    Exposure time : 0.0063 s (1/160)

[​IMG]

Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:49:15
    Resolution : 700 x 536
    Exposure time : 0.017 s (1/60)

Thanks for looking and as always, all comments, critiques, suggestions, improvements, phone numbers, propositions etc gratefully accepted.

Neil

2. Sure we missed ya... and judging from the look of that bear, we might have ended up missing you a lot more!! LOL
    Great grabs of an ornery subject. Very sharp pics, considering all!

3. Wondering where the heck you went, welcome back. With those pics as Sandi said, lucky you found your way back. LOL...........great captures, have yet to get a bear in my sights........look forward to seeing more pics!

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Hi Neil

Wondered were you where ,missed you at the challenge,well you're back that's good

Great bears,one of my fav. animals must have been an exciting experience

5. Very Cool Neil. I just got back from Yosemite myself and wasn't fortunate to catch a shot of a bear. What a wonderful place isn't it?

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Neil. Welcome back. We've missed your smiling face and highly intelligent wit.... 8)

7. with pictures like that, I will surely notice your absence in the future.... post more :)

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Neil,

You have some images of a Grand animal most of us will never get the chance to see. Yes, it must have been exciting to get your sights on that one.

Good images. thank You for sharing.

Glad you had a good visit.

Welcome back.!!!

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Of course we missed your "Rapier-like" wit!

I figured you were on vacation or something....oh, wait, you WERE on vacation! Jees dude, couldn't you get any closer? Ya big chicken! :shock: :wink:
    Seriously, those are all very good shots! Well done!

10. Famous words: If ever you find my body, check the last picture!!! *LOL*

11. saluki13

saluki13

Mar 27, 2005
    MA, USA
    Nice job!

Hi, -
    nice shots of the bear. I was only at Yosemite once but there are no words to describe the magnificence of the place. Lucky you!

12. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks folks, it's appreciated.

Yosemite was nearly perfect for the day and a half we were there. The waterfalls are just pounding at the moment. The other thing we figured out is that really we only live a bit over 3 hours from the place, so we'll have to start getting up there more often.

Thanks again.

Neil

13. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Very nice, looks like you got as safely close as possible.

I see you got a little monty python in on the last shot. ;) Brave, brave, brave Sir Robin....

Joel.

14. Neil, I missed your smiling face alot. I am glad you are back and posting. I was about to send out the No Posting Police to dredge the rivers.

Good images of this black bear. I have a very scary experience at that exact location when a bear woke me up by sniffing at my head. I sat up quickly and he went up on hind legs with arms outspread and slowly backed away. I jumped out of my sleeping bag and hopped up on my car with a stick. The bear just ambled slowly across the sleeping bags of my two sons and walked away. We slept no more that night. and left the next morning.

15. Glad to see ya back Neil!! Very nice shots!! :D :D :D :D

16. Hi Neil,

Nice photos!

I'm sure you found that seeing one live and in person can pick up the heart rate a bit, I know we sure did in Alaska last summer.

Do you think the Sigma 80-400OS is comparable to the Nikon 80-400VR, especially given the $400 difference?

Bob

17. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for the welcome back folks. It's good to be here again.

Bob, I think the Sigma compares very favourably indeed with the Nikon 80-400. I've found the Sigma to be uniformly sharp wide open throughout the focal range. It doesn't seem to hunt much at all although I'd like it to be a bit faster shooting motorsports, but that's the same beef many have with the Nikon lens.

Thanks again.

Neil

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Neil,
    Great that you're back..I really did miss you and wondered where you were...certainly worth your absence to get all the great bear pictures ...

Thanks and great to have you back with your humor and happy smile,

Gaye

19. Hey Neil,
    Your smile is like a cup of coffee on Sunday Morning out on the patio overlooking the lake. It just makes you feel good. Welcome back.

20. Long time no see great shots Neil what a great opportunity