Bears Oh My!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Matt S, Jul 11, 2005.

1. I had the opportunity to shoot a momma bear and cubs last night. Low light made it a bit difficult but I did manage a few keepers. I have only processed a few images so far. Sorry no bear cub shots yet, but soon I promise. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Matt, these are great shots, but weren't you a little on the close side?? Please be careful. We don't want to lose any members (or parts of any members either....;-)).

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This is wonderful. Salmon fishing in Alsaka.

Look foward to all the rest of the images.

Great stuff, please keep them coming.

think the Bear is far more interested in fishing than in you.

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Great captures...

Funny how they stop on the last one with the bear looking right at you!

;)

Can't wait to see more.

C

5. The first shot is just awesome great capture for sure

6. Matt These are really great. the look of the last one is funny the first one is awesome. cant wait for the cub shots.

7. Nice capture's !

At the last one, you can read his mind :

SO, NOW YOU ARE THE NEXT ONE !!!!!!!!!!

8. Those are great shots Matt and they tell a story in the process. Thanks for sharing these images.

9. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Matt,

Congrats with the shots these are lovely. It is awesome to see such a big animal in his natural habitat. I hope you were in at a safe place there. I like the first one and the one where all that water runs from its head 8) Great work!!!

Keep it up!!!

Regards

Johan

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW, Matt! Great shots, but it appears you were way too close for safety!! That last shot should have a caption -- "Well, I missed the fish, but look at that nice dinner standing over there!!"

11. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Amazing shots - but PLEASE tell me you've got a HUGE lens between you and the bear!!! :shock:

12. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Nice series. That first one is great and the others make a great set. I however have to wonder if you were too close for comfort when you captured these.

13. Not to worry about the safty issue. We were in a boat, fish and game does not allow people on shore in this area. More importantly bears that have salmon to eat could'nt care less about people hanging around. However when the bear first appeared we were anchored about 10 feet off shore fishing when she exploded into the water right in front of us (less than 10 feet) grabbed a fish and headed off into woods. That incident did grab my attention and nearly neccecitated new underwear. Once we knew she was in the area fishing we moved further off shore and waited for round two. When she came back I was able to take quite a few shots.

14. Here are a couple with the cubs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW that is just way to cool. Love the bears. More please :>)))))

16. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Great Shot!

Those are absolutely great!

-JM

17. Great series, Matt. Love the first and last of the original post and the second shot with the cubs. I didn't think you guys had a low light problem in Alaska at this time of year. :) :) :)

Must have been a bit frustrating trying to keep the speed up with all that action in front of you. Thanks for sharing.

18. Matt,

Those are really great photos. We were in Alaska last August and had similar experiences. Being close to the bears can be a bit hard on the laundry!

For others that might be interested it viewing bears with reasonable safety, take a look at this thread I posted back in February when there were only 40 or so members to look at it.
    Bears at Brooks Falls:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=104

and a "teaser" photo of Nan shooting 2 cubs (note Mrs Bear in the crook of her left arm!)
    [​IMG]

More photos are here if interested:
    http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/gallery/344396

Enjoy,
    Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Those shots are way cool..

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Matt, I busted out laughing when I read this. Glad you were safe. Again, excellent shots. I just love the cubs. :wink: