Beast arrived in Beastly condition!!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Commodorefirst, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep, The 28-70mm 2.8 arrived today.

I couldn't believe my eyes on how the lens arrived. :eek:

The first thing I pulled out of the box was the lens hood. Looks like WWII. If the hood had been on 50 photo sessions it received twice as many dents dings, white scratches everywhere on the hood. Inside and out. I started getting that sick feeling in my stomach.

Next I pulled out of the bubble wrap the lens itself, I nearly fainted. It had a old beat up CANON lens cap, I did a double take and checked the lens, yep nikon, yes, everything on the lens looks good, The condition was very good. How did the lens go out the door with that lens cap and Hood? hmmm

I removed the old beat up canon lens cap and this time really fainted. Grunge, grime, gunk all over the glass!!!

Well, I figured, what do I have to loose? I got out the cleaning gear and carefully cleaned off both ends of the lens (yes the other side was very dusty too) And believe it or not, the glass was pristine. Perfect. I thought, OK thats good, lets go get the flashlight and inspect things closer. Light inspection is great (after cleaning) If I ignore the hood and lens cap I got what I ordered at a very fair price.

I took it outside and it functions great and the optics at f2.8 appear to be at least as good as my 24-120VR at f8. My 24-120VR is a great copy. At f4, the Nikon is doing it's magic on the colors and contrast outdoors in the late evening light. Shows good promise. The edges appear sharp and detailed. Focus speed is super quick and quiet, no rattles or squeaks.

This weekend I will do some detailed testing. but first appearance seems good. But the hood and cap is a no go. I have emailed the seller and said that if the lens checks out this weekend and he gives me $40.00 back on paypal I will keep the lens, otherwise, it will go back. BH prices for a new hood and cap is 36.00 We shall see what he responds.

I am feeling a bit better now, since the glass and optics are great and body condition is EX+.

How about that story, all the anticpation and then a near heart attack?

time to get the tripod out for testing......

Wade

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wade, I would have been totally bummed out in that situation. You have shown a bunch more patience than I would have. Here's hoping that it has a very happy ending. :rolleyes:

3. All right, all right!!! Show us some images already, willya !!??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW, congrats on your lens! I had planned for one in the near future, but I guess the 35-70 f:2.8 will have to do a little longer (no slouch either, mind you...just not as...errrr...."beastly", shall we say...:cool: ).

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Only because of the great price, Only because of the price.

Wade

5. Count yourself lucky if the lens is in good operating condition, Wade. A little dirt, an "experienced" hood, and a Canon lenscap are minor distractions. If the seller refuses the $40 price adjustment, are you really going to send it back?

Of the 3 problems, the lenscap is the most serious. You absolutely need the pinch style lenscap if the hood is on.

Now let's see some snaps!

6. I actually buy Nikon lens caps for my Canon using friends. Any they use them! :rolleyes:

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes I would have, I am that stubborn :) especially when it comes to glass, however, all is working out well, He refunded the $40, and offered to send a neutral cap ASAP, but I will be buying the pinch cap soon.

So he did the right thing, and I get to test out the lens tonight or this weekend. And you know, I don't seem to mind the size of the lens, seems more kitten-like than a beast. I guess I have been using the big guns so much for birding, this feels light as a feather!

Frank a question, is it me or does it seem you do not shoot much with this lens at 2.8, do you find the sweet spot up around f4 - f5.6 for your shooting style?

cheers,

Wade

Wade

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    soon, very soon.

Wade
    :wink:

9. It's useable at f/2.8, but it doesn't start to excell until you stop it down a bit, Wade.