Beating the Heat

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    It is so hot here right now. We don't have air conditioning in our home and the temperature was supposed to be close to 100 degrees yesterday. So, Greg and I decided to head to the high country. We got up at 4 a.m and drove to our favorite place. We hiked 11 miles in Cascade Canyon in Teton Park. I can hardly walk today, but the things we saw made a few aches and pains seem a small price to pay.

The animals were part of the landscape that I was shooting. Hope you don't mind if I post them here.

original.

View attachment 104556

View attachment 104557

View attachment 104558

View attachment 104559

View attachment 104560

View attachment 104561

View attachment 104562

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    #4 & #6 are excellent images Terri!! I think I do remember some of the earlier images you have posted which are similar to #4 or maybe taken at the same lake. I am a fan of your landscape images Terri. Keep on shooting and sharing.

3. Great stuff Terri. Makes me want to head back up there. Where was the moose? I hope you can stay cool. No A/C with this heat is miserable.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks
    We were at this same lake one other time on a cloudy day. We loved this hike so much the first time that we decided to go back and go further this time. Wish we had backpacking gear. It would be fun to make a big loop up in the tetons, but you would have to stay overnight.

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Brian,
    The moose was up in Cascade Canyon. We saw him both times that we hiked there. We saw him both ways yesterday. I guess he is a regular in this one location up in the canyon. You have got to take the Cascade Canyon hike. In the summer, they run a hiker's special on the ferry. At 7 a.m. you can get a two way ride for $5 if you pay with cash. We were able to start hiking by 7:20 which was nice and cool. By the time we finished our hike at 2:30 it was hot.

Cascade Canyon is, BY FAR, the most beautiful area I have seen in the park. My photos just can't do it justice. If you ever get the chance to hike there let me know and I'll tell you where we went yesterday. We went around 5.5 or 6 miles up the canyon. Wish I could have gone further, but I have a bad knee and I pushed it to its limits yesterday.

These photos were taken with a wide angle lens. They can't really show how you are down in the bottom and the mountains are huge, straight up on either side. I can't even tell you how many waterfalls we saw. There were new ones on every turn. The beautiful scenery with the sounds of the rushing water and the birds chirping make for such an incredible experience.

Sure hope you can do it sometime. I know you would love it.

Hope you are staying cool. We cool down so much at night that we can usually cool our house down during the night and close it up in the day and stay comfortable. But, this week has been a bit unusual.

6. Beautiful images Terri. No one has A/C here either. It is supposed to be in the 90's by the end of the week and I have similar plans to head for higher ground :)

7. What a gorgeous place for a day hike!
    Eleven miles was quite a trek.

Heat can really be oppressive, so those snowy vistas must have really been cooling.

Very enjoyable series.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Nice series, Terri. It's hard to pick a favorite, but the moose shot is pretty special.

It's great to live in a place where you can get natural a/c by taking a hike! We've hit a 100 a couple of times this summer, but the mountaintop is just 45 minutes away.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Loved the images , landscapes and animals

Cool Moose!!!!!

Love the one with the water. Thanks for not making it silk. I can actually enjoy the water.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Have a great time and stay cool. It's amazing how much more cool it is in the high country.

Hi Virginia. It was one of those days that recharged my run down battery. Now I am ready to face all the things I need to do again.

Hi David,
    I was imagining that New Mexico was very hot. Guess it all depends on the altitude. Hope you enjoy getting away to the mountaintop.

We had a fun time watching the moose. I had no idea that they lived up in that high of country. We saw him in the morning and again in the afternoon. In the morning he was hiding out in a bunch of foliage, but he gave us the great show in the water in the afternoon when it was getting hot.

Thanks Gale. I'm kind of partial to realistic looking falls, too.

11. Nice set of images, Terri. I am jealous of the beautiful mountains that you have nearby.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho

I guess I am lucky. Every time we visit Teton Park we meet people from all over the country. They always say that they wished they live where I do. Of course, in the winter they might not feel that way!:biggrin:

It amazes me how many people from here never visit the park. There are a lot of other less famous places to go here as well, though. There are no lack of recreational opportunities here. That is why there are a lot of folks moving to my town and our population is growing so fast.:frown:

13. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Terri,
    I love the moose. I have been trying to find out where they are hiding around here, but haven't had any luck yet:(

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    There are lots of moose around here. Greg took the kids waterskiing at a reservoir not too far from our home, maybe 10 miles or so. They saw 2 moose swimming across the lake. We had one almost in our backyard when we first built our home about 20 years ago.

Guess you better visit Idaho!

15. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Believe me terri I am familiar with your neck of the "woods." I was up in Rexburg for a couple of years going to school. It was okay for school, but I always thought it would be nice to raise a family up that way. I just never could get used to the freezing cold wind blowing from the north during the winter.

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I know what you mean. Winters can be brutal here. Rexburg is even worse! I agree about this being a good area to raise a family. It has been good to us, winters and all...... Whenever people tell me I am so lucky living close to two national parks, I just laugh. They must not have been here in the winter or they wouldn't say that.

17. Beautiful set Terri. It would be great to hike in such a beautiful place.

How much cooler is it up there? I also like to hike but our countryside is very hot and exposed in summer and long hike is never fun.

18. Terri,

Beautiful pictures and the post processing is super. You da lady!!!!!

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Phil,
    I'm guessing that up in the high country it doesn't get over 85 degrees F very often. We started hiking early in the morning. By the time we finished it was getting hot, but that would be quite rare up there. There was a nice breeze blowing and I never felt uncomfortable hiking.

Chris,
    Thanks so much. I appreciate the feedback on my post processing. I never know quite how far to take the photos.

20. Well, I have you to blame for me buying NX!!!!! I like what you do to landscapes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.