Beatufiul (huge) Green Moth

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by NateS, Aug 19, 2008.

1. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Found this guy at the edge of the woods. He barely moved so hopefully he's okay. I know that composition is a little lacking on these (only so much I can do with him just laying there), but he was so pretty that I thought I'd share.

2008-08-19_13web.jpg

2008-08-19_10web.jpg

2. Luna Moth!!!! Awesome, so jealous you saw one. During this stage, the Luna Moth has a short life (about a week) and only live at that phase of life to mate. Great shots Nate! Also prominently featured in Eric Carle's wonderful Very Quiet Cricket children's book.

3. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks Rich. I feel honored to have seen and photographed one considering how short a life span they have. This was the first one I think I've ever seen and it's a shame that such a beautiful creature lives such a short life.

4. Beautiful! I've never seen one but they look huge

5. Ooooo. So beautiful. Never saw one before.

6. I've never seen, never mind had the opportunity to photograph this magnificent moth. Good for you! Nice capture.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    That's very nice, I've never seen anything like it. As you say it was an honour to get to see one and document its short life so nicely.

Thanks very much for sharing

8. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks everybody. This guy was really huge (nearly the size of my open hand) and that just made him that much more spectacular.