Beatufiul (huge) Green Moth

Found this guy at the edge of the woods. He barely moved so hopefully he's okay. I know that composition is a little lacking on these (only so much I can do with him just laying there), but he was so pretty that I thought I'd share.

2008-08-19_13web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2008-08-19_10web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Luna Moth!!!! Awesome, so jealous you saw one. During this stage, the Luna Moth has a short life (about a week) and only live at that phase of life to mate. Great shots Nate! Also prominently featured in Eric Carle's wonderful Very Quiet Cricket children's book.

Thanks Rich. I feel honored to have seen and photographed one considering how short a life span they have. This was the first one I think I've ever seen and it's a shame that such a beautiful creature lives such a short life.

I've never seen, never mind had the opportunity to photograph this magnificent moth. Good for you! Nice capture.

That's very nice, I've never seen anything like it. As you say it was an honour to get to see one and document its short life so nicely.

Thanks very much for sharing

Thanks everybody. This guy was really huge (nearly the size of my open hand) and that just made him that much more spectacular.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom