beaucamera Website is UP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaucamera, May 12, 2005.

1. I've just launched my website, www.beaucamera.com, and would appreciate your feedback and comments.

Learning Dreamweaver has been a real challenge. My class ends soon and I need to finalize the site for a class presentation.

Many thanks,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. Nice website Virginia. It is easy to navigate but I would prefer the images to display a little larger. Good job and hope you get an A in the class.

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hi Virginia: The website looks great but I have to agree with Gordon. The thumbnails need to be a little bigger. Once inside, I like the fact that "mousing over" the images inside makes them pop up bigger. Great job, though!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's great Virginia! I've been waiting for your site since seeing your tag line about it - guess you'll have to change that, eh? ;)

The site it's self is really good. Very navigatible and quick - and colorful! Whoo!

Great job and thanks for sharing t with us. If I taught your DW class, you'd get an A+++, as I'm sure you will.

:) :) :)

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Virginia,

Time to change the signature :)

My most favorites are
    #2 and #5 from Potpourri;
    #8, #5 Art
    #3, #5,#6 Oracle
    #1, #5, #7 Ranch
    #7, #3 Buck-A-Roo
    #2, #3, #8 Flowers
    Lee Middleton portrait

Thank you for the show :)

6. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Virginia your new website is looking great. I like the mouse rollover, and like Gordon and others have said I would love to see the images larger.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Web Design and the Needs of Photographers

Thank you all!

Web design standards, I'm afraid, urge one to appeal to the largest audience possible. My instructor has advised not using images for posting greater than 450 pixels on the largest size. I stretched that limit on www.beaucamera.com. Smaller images download faster, but I know photographers really want to see the "big" picture.

If you have suggestions about how I might fill both needs, I love to hear from you!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. RobTaormina

RobTaormina Guest

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I like it. Very nice and colorful. Lots of personality. My site is pretty dry. I have images at 800px which and even includes EXIF info, so it takes quite a bit of space and is slow to load on dial-up. But I figure potential clients want to see quality and won't mind the download times.

Now if I can only get some good photographs :rolleyes:

11. Thanks, Rob and Gregory. If you look a most other photo sites, the convention seems to be to go with a gray or black color scheme. I know I am taking a bit of a gamble stepping out of the norm. It is my way of adding a bit of personality to my site and showing my love of primary colors.

I've learned a lot about web design in my class, but it's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what one can do. It will be fun to add more content and improve the design as I go along.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. I just got listed on Google!

12. Virginia,

I like the site layout and such. I just one small critique. I like how the image "pops-up" as you mouse over the next image. However, it is annoying that you must keep the mouse over the thumbnail to look at the image. If you had viewers with a muscle control problem or overly sensitive pointing device they may not be able to see images in an album other then the first.

Just a thought.

13. Scott, once the images are loaded and cached, all you have to do is scroll over the thumbnail with the mouse to see the larger image. The process of loading and caching depends on you Internet connection speed, your computer and how large the images are.

In web design one has to balance these factors. My instructor has been careful to help us try and learn ways to make it easier for people with disabilities to view a site.

Thanks for the heads up and I hope this explains what is happening.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

14. Virginia,

I do understand what it is doing. I am a computer scientist by profession. The point I didn't make clear was this. In order to view, say image 5, I must hold the mouse over image 5. I wasn't talking about loading speed or any such thing. If you move the mouse slooooowly from image 5 to image 6 (straight down) you will see image 1 appear after you "leave" thumbnail 5 and before you reach thumbnail 6. This is a nit-pick. However, I have co-workers with muscular problems, and this sort of thing would drive them bonkers. A better behavior would be to keep image 5 displayed until a new image is reached. This may require the use of different trigger events. If I wasn't more clear this time please send me a PM and I can try to go into different (more) detail.

Like I said, I do like the site. It is very clean and flows nicely.

15. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Very nice web site :p !

I've noticed that professional photographers usually show very small pictures on their web site. Yours are on the large side, actually :lol:

Could you share with us how you came with the name "beaucamera" and what it means ? :?: Just curious :?

Thierry

16. Thierry...about beaucamera. This is a screen name I happened on when I first registered at DPR last March. "beau" means beautiful in French. Putting "beau" together with camera and you end up with beautiful camera. That certainly expressed my excitment and enthusiam for the D70 when I purchased in March 2004. Actually my instructor says the practice of combining words from different languages is becoming more prevalent as the supply of available domain names drops.

I was fortunate that "www.beaucamera.com" was still available this Spring when I registered my domain name.

I'm excited about finally having my site up. I'm so glad you like it!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Scott I sent you a PM.

17. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Kind of.

Maybe I should have said beforehand that French is my native language :twisted:

"Beau" is the masculine form of the word that means "beautiful". In fact a better translation is "handsome" when the adjective applies to a boy or a man. But it would translate to "beautiful" when it is used for an object.

"Belle" is the feminine form of the same word, and does mean "beautiful".

French language does not have a neutral gender ("it"). Objects are consequently assigned a gender in French grammar. Usage has decided long ago what is the gender of a specific object. There is no rule or any logic to it. So "une voiture" (a car) is feminine, but "un avion" (a plane) is masculine. And "une caméra" .... is feminine.

Therefore the correct expression is: "une belle caméra" and not "un beau caméra".

This is a little difficult to understand if do not speak a language where objects are assigned a gender * and * adjectives have to agree with the noun, but it just does not sound like it means anything in French to say "beau caméra".

In any case, I'm glad you like the name of your web site 8) Keep using it !

Thierry

18. Thank you for this explanation and clarification, Thierry. I took French is college many moons ago, but it's difficult to remember and employ all its nuances when you don't have a chance to use or speak a language. I hope my mix and match algorithm does not offend you or anyone else. You are most fortunate to have such a beautiful language as your mother tongue!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

19. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, the reason I chose white and mostly neutral colors was so that surrounding colors wouldn't create a cast, and also to focus attention on the photo itself rather than the page, so mine is exceedingly simple, pics are even unframed, though I must admit, pics look really nice with frames. Maybe that's why all my stuff looks so cr*ppy....

But with your site, I think it works very well. I should try and spruce up my site some, its rather boring.

20. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    No, no offense at all :D !

Thank you !

Thierry