Beaufort, SC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ffemt128, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Just a general question. I ordered travel brochures but can anyone recommend a place to stay in the area of Beaufort, SC. I will be traveling there in October and wanted a decent place to stay that won't break the bank. I personally will have 2 rooms for 3 nights and my oldest son will have 1 room for the 3 nights. We are potentially looking at lodging for 6-7 people for 3 nights. I'm open to hotels, condo, vacation rental....

Thanks.

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I would check it real good, as Beaufort isn't exactly a mecca for tourism, except some golf courses and such around. unless it's changed a LOT in the last several years. I remember it as sort of a back woods sort of coastal town. I am trying to think if this is outside hilton head or outside myrtle beach, dang if I can remember for sure.

3. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Thanks for the response. I'll be down there for my son's graduation from Marine Basic Training at Parris Island. I sent away for the travel guides but haven't gotten anything back yet. Hilton Head Island is not far, but I'm not familiar with that part of the country.

4. I just came back from Savannah, GA which is near Hilton Head (and I think not too far from Parris Island). Lovely old city, nice river front area, old town squares. I stayed at the Planter's Inn on Reynolds Square which was very nice.

5. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Yes, Savannah is not far from Parris Island. That was also one of the placed recommended to stay if we wanted to travel a little further. I don's think I'll have much time for sight seeing as we will arrive Wednesday 5-7pm and Thurday is family day on the base, son will not be allowed to leave base, and Friday is the actual graduation ceremony. He will be allowed to leave after that however I'm not sure of the times.

I really like those old towns with the unique architechure and history. You can have the beach anyday and I'll take the historic towns....

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I would definitely choose to look at Savanna or hilton Head over Beaufort.

HH is pricey, but nice. Savanna is a classic old town, not as charmning as Charlston, but has it's beauty.

I rode from Harbortown (exclusive harbar area of Hilton Head) to Savanna via tour boat once, that was a very nice trip.

7. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    If you turn that into NC, I can tell ya things! lol

8. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

My ex step brother in law lives in Beaufort, NC. Nice town and nice area in general. He used to live in New Bern, NC. He was in the historic section of town there. He works for Hatteras Yachts. I like NC. Never been to SC.

9. koolk2

koolk2

Sep 9, 2006
  10. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    New Bern, heh. Small world. Thats where I live right now and grew up for the past 20 years.

11. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I stayed there once, in a place near downtown. It was high priced. it is touristy kinda. The house used in the movie "The Big Chill" is there. East near the marshes. Amazing what camera angle can do.

12. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

New Bern is definately a nice little town with alot of history.... I always enjoyed going down there.

13. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

14. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    There are a number of standard motels and hotels in Beaufort. www.beaufort.com/lodging.htm It's a beautiful old town. Nearby, there is a place where you can rent cottages (it's actually just across from Paris Island) www.palmkey.com

15. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Doug I have not been to Beaufort in about 25 years, but you definetly do NOT want to stay where I did. The 3rd Battalion barracks is awfully hot, infested with sandfleas, and the staff is kinda loud:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Dan

16. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    ok, well obviously passing through, my impressions were quick, maybe to quick. Perhaps I spoke out of turn on Beufort, however, it's funny that in all the time I was in HH I never had a reason to go there.

280 a night is cheap Ken? Yikes. You can stay in HH for that rate I bet.

Our condo used to be 1500 a week, but I am sure it's went up since then.

Doug