1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Beautification Secrets

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Mr. Graceful, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I'm a Capture NX-2 user. Is there a simple way to do away with the bags under my girlfriend's eyes in this portrait? If I can beatify her a bit, she may be more willing to have her picture taken more often.

2863684279_f3ac26dfeb_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All help is much appreciated.

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    i did the eye pop 2 method and used the healing brush for underneath her eyes, sampling from her forehead, then a skin softner filter ..

[​IMG]

3. First of all, she already is beautiful, bags and all. I'm crazy about redheads with freckles, which is why I married Nancy many years ago. Well, and because she looked good in hotpants, too :rolleyes: :Love:.

8683024.gif

I'm kind of an expert when it comes to bags under the eyes. They run in my family, so I'm always "fixing" them. The problem isn't removing them... it's removing the right amount of them. Take your GF.

View attachment 254139

Using the cloning tool in the lighten mode, I selected a source at the bottom edge of each bag, and then moved the brush just a scooch higher to start painting. It was very effective in removing the bags...

View attachment 254140

but actually, too effective. The result robbed that part of the face if its 3 dimensionality. To my eye, the space under her eyes looks flat and unrealistic.

But this wasn't my first rodeo. I performed the cosmetic surgery on an upper duplicate layer. I simply reduced the opacity of the dup layer until I dialed in exactly what I wanted.

View attachment 254141

The bad news is that you'll need a photo finishing program with layers to do the above. The good news is that you can get Photoshop Elements for under $100 :biggrin:.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    The healing brush tool in NX2 is far superior to any of the other applications available. In fact, it requires no sampling from a different source in the image, it automatically calculates that for you with the surrounding data that you are healing. It works wonders. Try it out!

5. Why, thank you, Uncle Frank. I agree and have the same weakness for them. Redhead, hotpants, gogo boots . . . what's not to love and marry? Sarah's just hitting an age where she's beginning to feel old. At 32! Sheesh!

D'OH! I forgot all about the new healing brush in NX 2.

How's this?

2866643200_263dd55e85_b.jpg

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Looks better than the original. Are you blotching with the brush or doing longer strokes? I find it does better in longer, continuous strokes vs. blotching. Keep at it :smile:

7. It may be her bio-clock. She's young, but she's approaching the age when pregnancies are considered high risk.

8. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I agree, totally gorgeous.
    Like Frank I use the healing brush set to lighten at an opacity of 15% and 50% opacity. Works like a charm. I like this method b/c it lightens the circles but doesn't make everything look smooth and unnatural. I have NX2 and I don't like the healing brush. Maybe I'm not using it right?

2865851369_d1a1bcbdea_o.png

9. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I think Frank showed the best edit so far.

Additionally, I would lighten the eyes a bit and sharpen them and her mouth (add a dash of red to her lips) - all this, on another layer, blended into base via layer mask. Lastly, I would warm up her skin a bit - a dash more yellow and pinch of red would be reasonable enhancements, without making her cartoonish, nor removing character or dimension from her lovely face. Often the hair benefits from the warming I apply to skin tones.

I took a second look - If I wanted to go the extra mile, I would slightly desaturate her teeth, then light them a tad - have to be very careful here. The last thing that stands out is the glare on the bridge of her nose. I would be careful with other edits - most so far are increasing the glare - it should be minimized, if anything.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  10. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Great shot of a beautiful women. I personally like the patch tool (in PS) and use it on a new layer, then adjust the opacity for a natural blend. I also tried to avoid making the highlight on the nose worse.

2863684279_f3ac26dfeb_o.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.