Beautiful background music

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 22, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Could someone tell me how I could find out what the background music is on Monique's website (click the 'sound on' button)
    I dropped her an email but haven't heard back from her.
    http://www.pbase.com/zippo/chickadeestitmice
    Thanks,
    Jarrell

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's Swiss musician Alain Morisod's Et Les Oiseaux Chantaient (Und Die Vogel Sangen) from his 2001 'World Music' album, Melodies Pour Toujours.

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks Chris! How in the world did you know that?
    Jarrell

4. My goodness Chris, you have skills no one knows about. :eek: :eek: Amazing.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Just a quick google for the German words for bird and music and composer, cause I could tell it was euro-new-age stuff, even though they were trying to sound like Ravel. I liked the song, and Monique's photos are excellent, especially that Tiger shot on her front page.

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Well I'll be darned, I kinda like the euro-new-age stuff! I'll have to do a search for Ravel.
    Thanks for the info,
    Jarrell

7. Even more amazing than that! I went over to that link and couldn't hear a thing. Chris must be, like, some kinda acoustic psychic or something!

Mike

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Not psychic, just bored. You have to wait, like a minute or two, then the 'sound-on' button appears. It isn't there at first.

9. Jarrell,

You've never heard of Ravel? I guess you're not a big classical music fan. :D Actually, surely, you've heard Bolero before at some point, no? That's probably his best known piece to the average person.

I'm not actually a fan of Ravel, but his best known compositions (besides a few like Bolero and couple ballets) are his piano works. If you like piano concertos, definitely try out his Concerto in G though it's a bit different than most of the better known ones from the big names.

http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/ravel.html

BTW, I'm not sure I'd say that sounds much like Ravel's music -- seems too simplistic to compare though I haven't heard that much of Ravel -- but if you like it, maybe you'll like some of the stuff that Mannheim Steamroller used to churn out in their Fresh Aire series. :D

http://www.mannheimsteamroller.com/index2.html

Don't know what they're up to nowadays as I hadn't listened to their stuff since the early 90's.

_Man_

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It doesn't sound like Bolero - that's for sure, but somewhat like Nocturnelles, or ... Ya know, maybe I meant Debussy. Just like I can't tell pink from green, I have a hard time differentiating neo-classicists, like Ravel from Musical Impressionists, like Debussy, who would be appalled to be placed into the same bin with the neos.

PS. I like Manheim Steamroller.

11. Actually, now that I think about it, it sounds more like Bach or Handel played very spaciously (ie. very slowly/gradually w/ broad phrasing) on synthesizers. You know, the stuff that gets played at weddings and such during the prelude (but also often used for "elevator muzak" :D).

Debussy is distinctly different from this also -- I'm not sure how to describe that difference, except in terms of "flavor" or "verve" or lyricism or a certain whimsical spontaneity of sorts. I love the string-ed chamber music that the Impressionist movement produced. I'm still learning to appreciate the vast repertoires of piano works from these guys though -- I think strings just "sing" to me better. :D If nothing else, I can say that I like the sparkling magic that's often very evident in their piano works in addition to the other traits I mentioned above.

_Man_

12. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Man, I appreciate the information. Thank you!
    Jarrell