Beautiful Belgium

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Johan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi peeps,

It's great to be back, wasn't able to visit the board for some time. I have already wanted to post the following images a long time ago. The thing was that I was testing with the exposure, especially what the effect was of snapping landscapes with a few stops down and these are the results.
    To be honest, I'm really fond of the second one but don't know what to think about the first one. Any help or comments ?!?

The goal that I try to reach is that I want to create a certain mood, although I'm a positive and optimistic person I like "dark" drama, especially when it comes to photography. But I consider these images having a positive mood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All comments are welcome, so please feel free to react:cool:

Kind regards

Johan

2. They are both beautiful image Johan. My favorite.

3. Johan, both serve my pleasure equally... :wink:

Care to share your technique, or was it just a few f-steps down...???

4. Johan,
    Great to see you back in action! Both are great. I find the mood is more powerful in the first and if I were going to frame one for my office it would be the first one of the two. Both are great works and like Panos I would like to know more about how you went about determing your settings for these.
    Dave

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

On my display I see a bit of that wacked out sky blue we sometimes get with digital and/or polorizer, looks a bit muddy to me. It happens to all of us....

The first would be spectacular with a crop at top to remove the murky blues, would also make for a better balanced composition IMHO.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images.

Gotta agree, to much top on the first one.

Like the second one the was it is though. :>))

7. I hate to disagree, but I believe the top in the first actually adds balance to the image. Just my opinion of course.
    Dave

8. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    @ Panos & dmwphoto,

First of all thanks for the kind words. Here are the settings I used for those shots; The first one: iso 200 / WB: cloudy -2 / shutter: 1/20 / Mode exp. -0.7 / aperture: f29

The second one: iso 200 / WB: cloudy -2 / shutter 1/50 / Mode exp. -2.0 / aperture: f22

In order to create the right mood, and getting the detail that I want to get (rays of light and the dawn) I prefer using slow shutterspeeds. It really does the trick for me and gives me the results that I want to get.

I used a polarizer for the second shot but can't remember using one with the first one. I do know that I removed it while shooting.
    Have to admit that I'm a huge fan of polarizing filters, I use mine a lot. I have one by B&W and consider it as one of the best thing in my bag. Lots of people who look at my photos ask me how I do it to get those colours so nice and vivid, lots of them think it's a photoshop tool ;-)

Hope my answer satisfy you guys

Kind Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  9. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    @ Bigpixel & Gale,

Thanks for you input here. Very interesting to read you opinions, keeps me focussed :)
    I will try cropping the first some more, maybe I was a bit unluckly there having a no-cloudy sky there.

Bigpixel, Thanks for the info on using a polarizer. I'm going to pay more attention to it in the future, because once you've started liking something so much you have to be aware not overusing and overdoing it. Must say you have a good for eye that.

Have a nice rest of the day

Kind regards

Johan

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Johan,

Polorizers are great in many situations, I use one often here in Hawaii's torid sun. The trick is to buy the best one you can, quality does vary greatly between the economy and high end CPL's. I use the nikon CirPol II. Its of the newer thin variety and produces very clean results. About $100 USD.

That first one still grabs me. It crops beautifully to a perfect square IMHO. Do the "mouse crop" here and see what you think.

PS: I know I'm new here and haven't posted any pics yet. Hard to buy into a "new guy" until you've seen his work.....Having some difficulties with my site right now. Maybe I'll get a Pbase account and upload some. That way people can get aquainted with me a little better.

11. I'm with Dave! I like the first shot as is. I like the way there's gradation in the sky. It makes it look like there's a distinction between the mist reflecting the orange of the sun and the sky above.

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

You're right Kevin. All good images can be cropped 100 different ways usually. Whether or not to do so is a subjective call on the shooter's part.