Beautiful Bride - Selections from this weekend's wedding

Here are a few wedding images from thie weekend for your review and comment.

IR Wedding Environmental Portrait
22205340-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's been a while since I've been able to do any IR work at a wedding. So this is alittle basic. I'd like to do more with IR portraits (closer up.)
The lowdown:
D100 & 12-24 AFS DX @15mm
ISO 800, 1-sec manual exposure @ f/8
Infrared light - Tiffen 87 IR filter
(A tripod was deffinitely used - but I'm still workin' on hand holding those 1-sec. exposures!)

Wind & The Veil
22202377-M.jpg

With such a beautiful bride, every time she smiled it was a fabulous moment. When the wind took her veil I grabbed the end to my right, brought it toward me and held it under my lens.
The lowdown:
D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
ISO 400, 1/640 sec. Aperture Priority @ f/5.6
SB800 fill flash -0.7EV

The Boys Will Play
22209525-M.jpg

The guys at every wedding love to horse around - these fellas were no exception.
The lowdown:
D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
ISO 400, 1/500 sec. Aperture Priority @ f/5.6
Natural light

On the Altar with Flowers
22211248-O.jpg

A traditional, yet powerful pose. The lighting in the church was particularly colorful.
The lowdown:
D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
ISO 400, 1/60 sec. manual exposure @ f/4.5
Remote SB800 from left, natural light from right, fill flash bounced up and diffused at 45 degrees.

On the Altar with Flowers (mixed B&W/color)
22211246-O.jpg

The same shot as above, but with portions mixed in B&W and color. This edit was requested by the bride because she saw a similar shot in my portfolio. Which do you prefer?

P

peterdove

The shot with the veil is really superb :)

Peter

Thanks guys.

Mike - I too prefer the full-color because of the mood it creates. I worked hard on balancing the flashes and other light +WB, all that gets lost in the B&W.

Joe,
Beautiful wedding shots. Spot on.
Beautiful Bride also.

I like both the color and b/W /w color. The one thing lost in the b/w w/color is the vibrance of the bride.

Color and lighgting in the color image is terific.

Veil image is wonderful.

Very impressive IR as well, I like that.

IR always fasinates me.

Great job Joe.

LOL - Thanks Harris. I would have gladly come to FL for a great wedding such as yours. I'm doing three destination weddings this year... Jamaica, Bahamas, & British West Indies... can't wait!

Thanks everyone.

Hey Joe,
You are one hell of a good photographer. I meant to comment on your earlier thread but I love the composition of some your shots. Question. What gives you your ideas for composition and framing?

T

tamachan

Nice shots...

They are shot very well. Especially the veil... one of a kind, that is.

D

Dirtyharry71

nice wedding shots

that third gives the impression that she was only wearing a veil 8)

Very nicely done, Joe.

Especially the Wind and Veil shot. That one's a stunner.

Best wishes,

David

Thanks guys - I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Chad - as for inspiration. I look at other photographers and artists like illustrators and painters.

My college degree is in illustration, and I did allot of fantasy, sci-fi, and children's work before becoming a full-fledged photographer. I always had a knack for interesting comps and I credit that to my days of drawing layouts and my instructors who forced me to think outside the box. To keep myself fresh, I do two things. I look at shots that my peers are doing and try to recreate them. Once they are recreated, I try and change them up, to give them a twist. The other thing I do is I try and come up with a new comp for each wedding. That way every assignment I do moves me forward, but builds on the previous.

For inspiration now, I look at photographers like Yervant, David A. Williams, Joe Buissink, Denis Reggie, & the late Ingo Schukraft among others.

If anyone gets a chance to attend a seminar with David A. Williams, do it! He is big on the subject of inspiration and gets allot of his from Baroque artwork. Looking at painters is a great way to help you see natural light. Everything they put on the canvas is intentional, so it must be important.

I really like the first three alot. Good Job.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom