Beautiful Bride - Selections from this weekend's wedding

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Photo, May 16, 2005.

1. Here are a few wedding images from thie weekend for your review and comment.

IR Wedding Environmental Portrait
    [​IMG]
    It's been a while since I've been able to do any IR work at a wedding. So this is alittle basic. I'd like to do more with IR portraits (closer up.)
    The lowdown:
    D100 & 12-24 AFS DX @15mm
    ISO 800, 1-sec manual exposure @ f/8
    Infrared light - Tiffen 87 IR filter
    (A tripod was deffinitely used - but I'm still workin' on hand holding those 1-sec. exposures!)

Wind & The Veil
    [​IMG]
    With such a beautiful bride, every time she smiled it was a fabulous moment. When the wind took her veil I grabbed the end to my right, brought it toward me and held it under my lens.
    The lowdown:
    D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
    ISO 400, 1/640 sec. Aperture Priority @ f/5.6
    SB800 fill flash -0.7EV

The Boys Will Play
    [​IMG]
    The guys at every wedding love to horse around - these fellas were no exception.
    The lowdown:
    D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
    ISO 400, 1/500 sec. Aperture Priority @ f/5.6
    Natural light

On the Altar with Flowers
    [​IMG]
    A traditional, yet powerful pose. The lighting in the church was particularly colorful.
    The lowdown:
    D2x & 28-70 AFS @ 28mm
    ISO 400, 1/60 sec. manual exposure @ f/4.5
    Remote SB800 from left, natural light from right, fill flash bounced up and diffused at 45 degrees.

On the Altar with Flowers (mixed B&W/color)
    [​IMG]
    The same shot as above, but with portions mixed in B&W and color. This edit was requested by the bride because she saw a similar shot in my portfolio. Which do you prefer?

2. Great shots. I prefer the full color version, the mixed doesnt really work.

3. peterdove

peterdove Guest

The shot with the veil is really superb :)

Peter

4. Thanks guys.

Mike - I too prefer the full-color because of the mood it creates. I worked hard on balancing the flashes and other light +WB, all that gets lost in the B&W.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Joe,
    Beautiful wedding shots. Spot on.
    Beautiful Bride also.

I like both the color and b/W /w color. The one thing lost in the b/w w/color is the vibrance of the bride.

Color and lighgting in the color image is terific.

Veil image is wonderful.

Very impressive IR as well, I like that.

IR always fasinates me.

Great job Joe.

6. Very creative and lovely image. You inspire me to do better with my own photography.

7. Damn Joe, why couldnt you be down here for my wedding? I like your shots better than my guy's.

8. LOL - Thanks Harris. I would have gladly come to FL for a great wedding such as yours. I'm doing three destination weddings this year... Jamaica, Bahamas, & British West Indies... can't wait!

Thanks everyone.

9. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Very good shots. I really like your IR approach.

10. Beautiful shots!! Well done!! :D :D :D

11. Hey Joe,
    You are one hell of a good photographer. I meant to comment on your earlier thread but I love the composition of some your shots. Question. What gives you your ideas for composition and framing?

12. tamachan

tamachan Guest

Nice shots...

They are shot very well. Especially the veil... one of a kind, that is.

13. Dirtyharry71

Dirtyharry71 Guest

nice wedding shots

that third gives the impression that she was only wearing a veil 8)

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice shots. Great style :D

15. Very nicely done, Joe.

Especially the Wind and Veil shot. That one's a stunner.

Best wishes,

David

16. Hello Joe,

Wonderful wedding pictures. I hope to develop my skills one day to photograph weddings and special occasions.

17. Thanks guys - I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Chad - as for inspiration. I look at other photographers and artists like illustrators and painters.

My college degree is in illustration, and I did allot of fantasy, sci-fi, and children's work before becoming a full-fledged photographer. I always had a knack for interesting comps and I credit that to my days of drawing layouts and my instructors who forced me to think outside the box. To keep myself fresh, I do two things. I look at shots that my peers are doing and try to recreate them. Once they are recreated, I try and change them up, to give them a twist. The other thing I do is I try and come up with a new comp for each wedding. That way every assignment I do moves me forward, but builds on the previous.

For inspiration now, I look at photographers like Yervant, David A. Williams, Joe Buissink, Denis Reggie, & the late Ingo Schukraft among others.

If anyone gets a chance to attend a seminar with David A. Williams, do it! He is big on the subject of inspiration and gets allot of his from Baroque artwork. Looking at painters is a great way to help you see natural light. Everything they put on the canvas is intentional, so it must be important.

18. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I really like the first three alot. Good Job.