Beautiful in the English Lake District

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by David B, Nov 13, 2005.

1. David B

David B Guest

The weather was stunning here today and as the Lake District is on my doorstep I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss. Took the D70 with me and rattled off a few shots. Hope you enjoy them.

Any comments bad or good will be appreciated.

ON THE ROAD TO TARN HOWS

26bd4aad.

TARN HOWS

8f418714.

de7b3888.

1e1b6836.

5340a1f9.

TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE IN AMBLESIDE

159ec04b.

SUNSET OVER WINDERMERE

336efb90.

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Dave

Glad you posted these.

I know I had the benefit of a "sneak preview" but really like them.

Think they are excellent - each and every one.

All the best

Ray

3. I agree these are fantastic shots! I had the pleasure of traveling through the Lake District years ago. Unfortunately it was only by train but it was beautiful nonetheless.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. David B

David B Guest

Thanks for the comments Kevin and Paul. I'll see Ray at work tomorrow.

Paul the untitled shots were all of Tarn Hows. I take your point on the pictures. I am still finding my feet but want to learn. If I can become half as good as some of the people on here then I will be happy.

I usually make numerous visits to the Lake District so you will be getting plenty of posts throughout the year.

If you ever come up this way then drop me a line

Regards

David

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    David - some re-works as requested

Hi Dave

As members will have probably realised David and I work together; work being that unfortunate requirement that interferes with phography and processing.

Talikng about Dave's shots and the comment's made Dave asked me to have a go at processing the shot of the tourist centre, Ambleside.

I felt that the people needed removing on the rh side and that could be done by cropping.

However, others in the shot also caused distraction and so these were removed, along with other distractions. The house and pavement were rebuilt along with the road.

I used PWL, levels, curves etc and then decided to paint one version.

Here they are; I hope they work: -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also played with another of Dave's shots which was the one of tarn Hows, a famous beauty spot in the UK.

Dave's picture needs nothing but he knows I am a "dabbler" and could not resist. We are good mates and so i know he doesn't mind.

Here is the re-work of Tarn Hows.[​IMG]

Again I hope you like.

I don't think that any are improvements on Dave's work, just another view.

Hope you like

All the best

Ray

7. Good drama/composition in the 5th one down. I love those kind of light/dark angled shadow shots. And I like the "sparkle" also. They can be tough. I frequently bracket those kind of shots because I'm never sure if I want a silhouette effect or more detail in the dark parts. Or sometimes I spot meter all around and try to average out a reading. How did you shoot this one??

8. David B

David B Guest

Thanks

Thanks for the comments - they are really appreciated. I have only had my D70 for a short time and it is a very steep learning curve. I was using an Olympus 5050 before this and there is a big difference. I still have my 5050 but I only use that when I go diving.

As to how I took this photo - here is the info. It was shot at f8 at 125. It was shot on M and the metering was "Matrix". Pardon my ignorance but not sure what that is.

I love photo 5 but I don't put any of it down to skill. At the end of the day I'm putting it down to sheer beginners luck. Just hope I can keep lady luck on my side.

I am really giving my camera a lot of use as I'm of to East Africa in 2 weeks for a 5 week holiday. I will be boring you all silly with my safari photos when I get back.

Regards

David

9. David, these are very nice and I agree with Ray that the pictures and there are two of them that need the people removed and other than that, they are totally awesome.

10. You've got really nice images that brings me memories back to last year when I was there in early October.

I felt that the colours were a little muted, but after Post Processing as what RayGuselli has shown, the colours of your images becomes much richer.

I guess for me would be to go and start playing with my tonal curves to make the camera produce such images so that I would have to do less post processing.

11. David B

David B Guest

Thanks for your comments Caleb and Catz. The pictures are as they came out of the camera. I agree that the colours are muted and post processing will improve them. Unfortunately, as Ray Guselli will confirm, my computer is on its last legs and keeps hanging when trying to work in Photoshop. My computer has never been the same since I tried to vacuum out all the dust that had accumulated inside it (I'm not joking).

I am purchasing a new computer next week so this should then allow me to use Photoshop again.

I managed to removed the people off this picture but it took me a couple of days due to the hanging problems. You are right Catz - the picture is better without them.

4a61ba94.

I'll post some more pictures of this beautiful part of the world when I get back from my safari.

Regards

David