Beautiful pano of Paris

Real Name
Paul
It is beautiful. I'm hoping that's clouds, though, and not smog in the distance.

The level of detail is amazing. The photographer must have walked around Le Tour Eiffel snapping photos and then spent lots of computer time stitching. Thanks for posting.

(I didn't appreciate it when a crooner began interrupting the opera I was listening to, however. :mad: :wink:)

The level of detail is amazing. The photographer must have walked around Le Tour Eiffel snapping photos and then spent lots of computer time stitching. Thanks for posting.

(I didn't appreciate it when a crooner began interrupting the opera I was listening to, however. :mad: :wink:)

Hey Jim -

I didn't realize it came with a soundtrack - I'd had my laptop muted!

Hi Jim,

Have you tried using the down arrow? You end up seeing the Eiffel tower below you. This looks to me that the photographer (or at least his camera) was in a balloon, stationary above the Eiffel tower. An indication on the photographer's home page seems to support that: he mentions the point of view is from above the tower. I think the weather was just your typical dreary, grey autumn or winter day. There is not that much smog out there...

As for the "crooner", he's not really one. This is Yves Montand, a quintessential French singer and actor, a classic (in some sense of the word) indeed. Your issue is that you went to that page directly from the link posted by the OP (thanks for that, btw), instead of finding your way there from the photographer's home page, which has no music... I personally find that music quite appropriate, actually, but to each his own of course.

Ah, Paris...

Hey Jim -

I didn't realize it came with a soundtrack - I'd had my laptop muted!

I'm not blaming you, Eric. I normally leave the sound off on my computers too, but at that time I was listening to Anna Bolena by Donizetti live from the Met on my iMac while perusing the cafe, and it was a bit jarring to hear the French singer butting in. :biggrin:

Hi Jim,

Have you tried using the down arrow? You end up seeing the Eiffel tower below you. This looks to me that the photographer (or at least his camera) was in a balloon, stationary above the Eiffel tower. An indication on the photographer's home page seems to support that: he mentions the point of view is from above the tower. I think the weather was just your typical dreary, grey autumn or winter day. There is not that much smog out there...

As for the "crooner", he's not really one. This is Yves Montand, a quintessential French singer and actor, a classic (in some sense of the word) indeed. Your issue is that you went to that page directly from the link posted by the OP (thanks for that, btw), instead of finding your way there from the photographer's home page, which has no music... I personally find that music quite appropriate, actually, but to each his own of course.

Ah, Paris...

Thanks for the tip on looking down, Phillipe. I quickly left that page when I heard the crooner... er... singer, and haven't gone back. And I'm sure the music was very appropriate, but to an opera fan...well, let's not go there, as they say.

JPS

Excellent "spherical" panorama indeed !

Usinn an FX camera with the Nikon fisheye 10.5 f/2.8 (DX) with the lens-hood SHAVED, only 4 images are needed to complete the pano !

I use PTGui to stitch, then Pano2VR to build the final "image", but PTGui can do the whole job by itself !

With a bit of use, a "spherical panorama" can be ready to show on screen in less than 20 minutes, shooting time included !!!

The only thing that puzzle me is HOW the guy shot it ? One can use a POLE (usually up to 15-20") but it seem that it's been shot from way above that, looking at the TV antennas on top of the Eifel Tower... Else he was in a balloon, else he used one of these new "quadricopters" or "hexicopters" on which one can fix a camera ?????

In any case, HOW did he get -if he dasked, of course !- the AUTHORIZATION to do that ???? I've bee ntold that it's getting more and more difficult to have authorizations to fly over any city, due to the increasing numbers of "aeromodelists" adding cameras to their "flying machines" !?!

Great job anyway !

:biggrin:
J-P.

Stunning, thanks for posting. Great motivation, we're going to spend a few days in Paris in May. Last visit we never got to the Eiffel tower; maybe this time.

Yes Philippe, I remember Yves. He made a movie with Marilyn Monroe as I recall.

Rich

Stunning, thanks for posting. Great motivation, we're going to spend a few days in Paris in May. Last visit we never got to the Eiffel tower; maybe this time.

Yes Philippe, I remember Yves. He made a movie with Marilyn Monroe as I recall.

Rich

If you've never been up there, it's worth the trip. Also, try walking back down the stairs (if not going up that way). It's another, fun, experience!

Btw, I think Yves Montand did a bit more than make a movie with Marilyn, if you catch my drift... :wink::cool::smile:

Never been to paris and yet it is just over the water from here mainly because my friends say it is so expensive but this panorama is excellent. you people mentioning Marilyn have made me go lay down for a while, Sugar will always be a treasured memory.

Never been to paris and yet it is just over the water from here mainly because my friends say it is so expensive but this panorama is excellent. you people mentioning Marilyn have made me go lay down for a while, Sugar will always be a treasured memory.

We didn't find it as expensive ( in 2010) as we did Bavaria(in 2011). There are plenty of ** hotels for less than 100 Euros a day and a metro pass will get you all the way to Chartres and Versailles as well about every place to see. Grab a pastry and juice for breakfast (7 Euros) and pick up a sandwich for around 5 Euros and dinner for 25-30 Euros. The city is magic. We can't wait to get their again.

Rich

That was pretty cool. I remember the first time I stood in front of the Eiffel Tower - I was stunned. It's beautiful. We walked to the half way point...which is about 700 steps.

The tower was definitely a bucket list scratch off for me. I'll never forget that place. Beautiful!

Latest threads

Top Bottom