1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

beauty dish for Elinchrom ?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Rudi, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

Well, it's that time when I start thinking about another Christmas present to myself. :smile: This year, it will be a decision between the 39" Deep Octa and a beauty dish! That decision will not be made easily, but here is what I need help with. Should I decide to get the beauty dish first...

I know some (probably most) prefer the Speedotron beauty dishes over either of the Elinchrom offerings (mainly for the grid capability). Now, I haven't ruled out the Elinchrom dishes yet, but am looking for input as to what Speedotron dish to get, and how to make it fit on my Elinchrom strobes, should I decide to go that way. Alternately, if you're using one of the Elinchrom dishes, which one and why? Unfortunately, given where I live, I do not really have an option of renting one of these AFAIK, although I will try and look into that as well.

I have done a search and read some threads, but I remember many more discussions about this some time ago (at which time I wasn't ready, so not interested, of course). So please, I'd love to hear any and all opinions, suggestions or links.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi Rudi!

Well i have no experience with the Speedotron dish, nor do i own the Elinchroms softlite reflector. But iv used the 70cm white one.

Elimchrom does offer a "square" dish with a grid attachment, but its more suitable for advanced product shots.

I do however own the Deep octa, wich is really nice, and versatile. I dont use it as often as my Octalite though. .-)

3. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    What did you think about the 70cm Maxisoft, Paul? I'm kinda leaning towards the smaller 17" white Minisoft, since I already have the 53" Octa which can be used as a giant beauty dish if I remove one or both reflectors (and use a deflector). I have only heard good things about both Elinchrom dishes, but especially the smaller one! Maybe that is because more people have one, I don't know.

I'll eventually end up with both the Deep Octa as well as the beauty dish. (The Deep Octa is just too good not to have :)  ). I just wonder which one should come first. Seeing that I already have the 53" Octa, I think the beauty dish should come first... maybe.

4. Why not just buy one? I would trust Elinchrom to produce accessories the pros need and like. If you don't like it you can probably get 90% of what you paid for it on eBay. I'll buy it from you if you don't like it.

5. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    Well, I just got a great deal on the 70cm (27") white Maxisoft from my local dealer! A 15% saving over what it would cost me from B&H (shipping gets expensive), so I'm gonna snap that one up. Decision made easy! :smile:

6. Nice!

Iv only "tested" it briefly at shoot a few years ago, i havent really "discovered" the beuauty dish yet,probebly because i dont shoot alot of fashion/glamour.

If anything its doesnt catch the wind as much as a deep octa :) 

Kindest

7. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    Well, this is what I got after all the hand-wringing! :biggrin: The Elinchrom Deep Throat Octa (I call her Linda! :biggrin: ). Next to the 75" Octa light bank, the most sought-after Elinchrom softbox. Never met anyone who has one and doesn't like it! I'm going to really put it through its paces over the next few weeks, hope it's as good in my hands as what I've seen out of it from others...

Taken at my parents place with all their mess around it. I went out of my way to light it properly, too - set the 5D at ISO 1600 and fired away with just the house lights and nothing else! :rolleyes:  Oh! And converted to JPEG in Lightroom 2 (picked up the upgrade at the same time... for some reason it always costs me more money than is in the budget when I visit that shop :eek:  ).

p353750853.
    Canon EOS 5D    ---    35mm    f/2.8    1/30s    ISO 1600

p453125028.
    Canon EOS 5D    ---    35mm    f/2.8    1/25s    ISO 1600

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  8. Cool Rudi! Looking forward to see some images where you used it.

So you call her Linda... ? LOL

9. RichNY

RichNY Guest

10. Thanx Rich for the link.

I assume the only reason to do the mod, is the lower price?

Considering the Softlite has the option to change both size and color of the deflector aswell as putting on the "shower cap diffuser"

Kindest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  11. Hi Paul,

Certainly price was a factor but the Speedotron is also closest to the Mola in design and that was of some interest to me.

12. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    A reference to the movie of the same name, "starring" Linda Lovelace... :smile:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068468/

13. Rudi

Rudi

Sep 29, 2008
    Australia
    I found a source locally for Chinese-made beauty dishes, and they come with grids, too! I'm still waiting for some info, but they come in three sizes, small (18"), medium and large (don't have the details for those sizes yet). At $180 AUD (127 USD) for the small version (without grid), I just might try one of these...

14. Thanx Robert.

Yes the speedotron is more of segmented parabolic design just as the Mola.

A "beauty dish" is more of "bowl" dish with a deflector which focus the light more effectivley. The light from a Mola/spedotroon hit more of light directly onto the subject. (due to the segmented design, which dont focus the light as effectively as a "bowl" type of dish)

Speedotron seems to be a good unit for the price, compared to the Mola though.

But if im to invest in a beauty dish/dish, ill probably get the 70 cm white Sofliter, with the acessories.Mostly because im lazy, and secondy i like acessories that goes with it.

Rudi, i would play around alot more with the deepthroat, since its also a parabolic more "focused" light that can be modified in many ways.

For example try using it with a silver deflector and just the inner "baffel", i think you will be suprised how many diffrent modifiers you can get out of it. .-)

Kindest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.