Becoming professional

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marcelotk, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hello everyone.

I was talking with a friend about how people become pro photographer here (Brazil).. we don't have enough colleges of art around and the one that exists here are mainly here in São Paulo... most of the pro photographers here don't have a graduation course and learned to take photos by himself. They have keen eyes for photos and great social skills and started from taking photos of friend's parties or little festivals...

Then I was wondering about how people around the world usually become professional... do they NEED to have a graduation?

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    No, they only need to have someone pay them for their photos.

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    That's a pretty good definition if you ask me :wink:

4. Looks like here :biggrin:

Doesn't matter if you enter or not an art college? Because it doesn't matter here :redface:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    If you allow me the comparison, Jimi Hendrix didn't know how to read a musical partition ... Of course there are always some things that you need to learn, but in some cases I don't think that it's important as to whether where you learn them.

7. *Gulp*

You mean all someone has to do is buy a photo you took and you are considered a pro????? :Shocked:

HAhahahahahahaahah

I am laughing at my self as I have sold 3 photos and I am so NOT a professional, in fact I am so far from being a professional that a professional with a 2000000000 foot stick couldn't reach out and touch me.

I think education has something to do with it..Or at least I hope t does as I am spending a lot of money on a second education in art and photography to be left out in the dry.

I know photography is a lot about raw talent and artistic flare. Even after all the education you can still take terrible pictures, but I would hope an education in the technical and business side of photography would help a little. :smile: