1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bee and White Crab Spider

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JohnK, Jun 30, 2007.

1. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    We went out for a walk and noticed this bee sticking out of the flower. Not at all uncommon, but this one didn't move, didn't come out, and didn't seem to be hanging on with it's legs. I thought there must have been a spider web inside the flower and it got stuck. My wife ducked down and looked inside and what do you know, no spider web but there was a spider in there eating the bee! You can just see it. I think it's a white crab spider, or flower crab spider.

The 18-200VR isn't to bad for some semi-macro shots. :smile:

Bee_CrabSpider_sm_01.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bee_CrabSpider_sm_02.jpg

Bee_CrabSpider_sm_03.jpg

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Sometimes it just not your day. :frown:

Great shot.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a sneeky darn spidey that one is..
    Poor bee

Good catch

4. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, it seemed like an interesting shot to me too. I think it would have been a lot easier to root for the spider if it had trapped a yellow jacket or wasp though! :) 

5. Neat capture John! How's the nest at Hidden Valley been treating you? Will need to head that way one day with you.

6. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks Peter. The osprey at Hidden Valley are still around, there's no way to see into the nest to see if they have any young, I'm hoping the young might make their way to poke their heads up high enough to see one of these days. A couple of weeks ago there was an interesting chase when some crows wanted the fish the osprey had. Here's one shot I got of it heading back to the nest, leaving the crows far behind.

DSC_3278_cropped_sm.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.