1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bee flies.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jomike, May 15, 2018.

1. Nice, but way over exposed, next time try to use a flash to diffuse some of that harsh sunlight, also try to avoid shooting in the middle of the day, early morning and late evening is the best time for flowers and macro. The magsphere by magmod is a nice diffuser for portrait to macro photography. MagMod Flash Diffusers & Light Modifiers for Speedlites

1. Shot with 150mm macro and the magsphere.
    41873887591_b414fd8768_o.
    NIKON D500    150mm f/2.8    150mm    f/4.0    1/250s    ISO 180

2. They aren't over-exposed according to the histograms. If you look at the EXIF daa you'll see that they were shaot at 10 AM and he used a flash. Earlier in the morning might have been too cool for insects to be flying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. They still look extremely harsh, the detail was lost do to the harsh light, using straight on flash is not the answer, you need to use a diffuser of some sort and place it at the right angle if that is what is called for, also under exposing would have helped.

4. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    But is that a bee, really?
    Ours in Germany are looking different...

Kind regards
    Klaus

5. Klaus: Bee flies are flies which mimic bees.

6. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Oh! Now I understand. I thought it's a bee flying... (n) 

My English skills :( :( :( 

Kind regards
    Klaus

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Not overexposed to me. You're lucky to have plenty. Still looking for these since my captures with the D200. Difficult critturs to capture, I thought.

8. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    These insects only fly in sunshine, so yes, the light is a bit harsh, but reflects the real scene IMO.
    The flash is a SB600 with home made diffuser mounted on camera. These shots were hand held because these flies move quickly, so no chance to set up shots.
    I prefer to expose to the right because I still use a D90, under exposing results in noise.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Bombylius major is a type of fly that looks like a bee, hence the english common name.

Thanks Brian, they are tricky because they move quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.