Bee Fly.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I had some better luck with the Bee Fly's today, what do you think. The at rest picture is 1:1 so you can get an idea of the size.

20433616-L.

20433614-L.

20433621-L.
    Hover Fly
    20433624-L.

200 f4 micro, D70. 1/500 f22, flashes.

Martin

Attached Files:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots.

Fuzzy little guy isn't he. :>)) Quite clear.

3. I think these are great, Martin. What did you do to slow these guys down so you could catch them "on the fly"?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Thanks Gale, there just flying fuzz balls when you see them in the garden.

Glad you like them Virginia, I use the SB-800 on a bracket with the SC-29 as master and I placed the SB-600 on my Gitzo 2220 with the arm extended and the flash over hanging the flowers. They both had mini soft boxes on.

It wasn't a lot of stopping power but they were hovering when the pictures were taken.

Maybe I will try with more flashes and use manual flash and get some better freezing action happening.

Martin

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Very nice, sounds like a lot of setup but obviously well worth it.

6. Thanks Greg, I hope I didn't make it sound to complicated, the reality of it since the flash and lens was on the camera and the other flash was on the tripod already was that I was out in the yard saw some insects flying around the flowers, I went inside grabbed the gear in one trip plopped down the tripod and sat down besides the flowers, dialed in some flash compensation since the flowers were very white and the Bee Fly showed up.

Some times it all goes easy and other times every shot is a struggle.

Martin

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good shots Martin. The eyes are absolutely amazing. They look like segmented headlights. 8)

Frank

8. Great shots Martin. You don't often see flying bee shots so this is a treat. Well done.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Martin! You really use that 200mm well. I've tried a few bee-in-flight photos, and your's are the best, and most diverse I've seen. Thanks for the flash lesson.

10. Thanks Frank.

Thanks Gordon, it's a fly, hard to believe when they call it a Bee Fly.
    http://crawford.tardigrade.net/bugs/BugofMonth19.html

Thanks Chris, it did hover nicely in one spot and that made it a lot easier. I am getting better all the time with the 200, practice does help.

Martin

11. WOW, amazing detail. Your really good at that!! :D :D :D

12. Thanks Bryan, sometimes they cooperate nicely, if I moved the fly would hover above the flower for a few seconds then go back to feeding.

Martin