Beehive lens--which one to use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Apr 19, 2007.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I'm going to take pictures of a large beehive this week and I'm wondering which lens you'd suggest using. I will have on the protective clothing so don't know how easy the pictures will be to do..so thinking a VR lens might work best. The hive will be opened and I'll have access to over 60,000 bees (or they'll have access to me :smile: ).

Also think I"ll need to use the flash.

I'm thinking the 105VR. But also wonderful your thoughts on using the 70-200VR.

Please suggest any lens you think of. I have the 18-200vr also.

Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, Gaye

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I recommend using a telescope. :biggrin:

Look forward to your bee photos!

4. LOL - That's exactly what I was thinking :biggrin:

If you have two bodies why not stick the 18-200 on one and the 105 on the other. Then you should be ready for most situations.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your adventure.

Don

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggg

6. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    This actually sounds like it will bee a lot of fun. I would use the longest macro lens and , well you may want to take several lenses for the scenery coming up to the hive.
    This is why I almost always carried all my lenses when doing something like this.

7. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    That 105 sounds great to me. Its one of Nikon`s best. Take lots of pix. Honey bees are dieing off like mad in the U.S. My friend in NC just lost 40 hives this year! The bug fokes are not sure why. Honey $$$ is going to go nuts if this keeps up. Its sad to walk around all the now silent hives. Honey bees are fun to bee around, have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks to you all for cute and good suggestions. I'll post pictures ASAP ...actually as soon as I get out of the protection costume.

And I'm thinking I'll take the suggestion to take two cameras and two lenses. I'll do the 18-200vr for sure...and then figure out the longest macro I have..probably the 105VR because of the VR. I may be pretty shakey.

Robert,
    Many bees are getting sick because of the African bees. They're here and bringing diseases. So the beekeeper where I'm going get's his bees from Hawaii because it's an island and has no diseases...his latest queen cost $18.00 and came in a little box in two days..it had 5 bees with it who fed the queen and kept it warm or cool with the wings or by huddling up against it.... It's an interesting hobby. My friend got his bees up under his eaves and he then became a registered beekeeper.....I'll know more tomorrow when I get the pictures and talk more. He did give me a jar of delicious honey....

Gaye

9. I think I'd use the longest lens I have! How about the 300mm f/4 or f/2.8? That would give you plenty of working distance and yet you'd still get some good magnification and isolation of the background.

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida

What about the 200VR?? or the 70-200VR instead of the 18-200VR...any thoughts?? would I need the 18mm end ..don't think I'd be doing that wide..

Need advice and thanks!

Gaye

11. I don't know if I'd want to use the 200mm f/2 VR in that situation, but I think the 70-200mm VR would be ideal and a better choice than the 18-200mm VR, actually. Wouldn't think you'd need the wide angle view all that much -- the 70-200mm VR sounds pretty good to me. Or, don't you also have the new 70-300mm VR? That might be even better!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    70-200 VR sounds good Gaye
    Do you have a 300 f4 That is a great lens also
    But the 2.8 might be necessary if it is in the shade

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Between the 3 I would go with the 70-200 because it is fast and very versatile (versus the 18-200) and you could use a 1.4 or 1.7 TC for longer reach. The 200VR is an awesome lens but if you want to change focal length you have to use your feet. Just my .02 cents

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really was funning you when I said long.
    I am not afraid of bees so I would prob be silly enough to use a 105 VR

15. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I would probably take the 18-200 and the 105 VR and a tripod. I wouldn't be shooting too many macros hand-held!

And since you have the protective suit, you are good to go!

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Since I have to be ready for this adventure tomorrow I've decided to take the 70-200VR and also the 105VR....AND the tripod. I must get my picture in the bee suit so have to still figure that out. It's possible that will be the easiest picture of the day..........

Also going to take two cameras so I dont have to change lenses. I'll take my SB800 too and hope that doesn't spook the bees.

I'll bee back with pictures tomorrow.

Thanks a million for the good ideas.

Gaye

17. Looking forward to seeing those pictures!!! :smile:

18. Bee Careful!

sounds like a lot of fun -- i think your choice of lens is perfect.

PaulC

19. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I'm all ready to head out the door to go to the beehive and the beekeeper just called to say he can't move out of bed with his bad back... so he'll call as soon as he is repaired...DARN!! I'll get pictures probably next week and will post all of them then.

What a disappointment that is!

Thanks for all the good help,

Gaye

20. Oh, DARN!!!! We were all primed and ready, waiting for those shots!!! I can imagine how disappointed you are! Well, if it's a nice day there, go out and find something else to shoot instead! :smile: