Been a while / Pulled over

Unfortunately, with busy season in full swing, I haven't had as much time to shoot film as I would like. Was driving to Houston for a gig and decided to pull over and take some pics. It was a very Stand-By-Me moment...I was on the small rail bridge when out of nowhere, a train comes barreling through. My only option was to jump off the tracks and on to the gravel embankment. The train was pretty close! Weird thing was, I didn't hear the train or feel the vibrations until it was about 100 yards away. Whew!!

Mamiya 645AF +HP5

5786949773_b3878bde8d_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Being on railroad property (especially on the tracks) is trespassing that can get you killed. Everyone should realize this.

Yeah yeah yeah.... noone reads disclaimers for a reason you know. Besides, if you never take a risk, you may never get an interesting picture :tongue:

In this case I really love the shots with the tracks. I was on a real life actual steam train last week, and now I see I should've made more of the opportunity.

With a diesel locomotive going 70 miles per hour you will not hear it until it is almost on you. They are deceptively quiet. I would never get on a railroad trestle. It is tantamount to suicide. You cheated the hangman this time, but you should never do something like that without at least having a spotter to keep a lookout for you, even then you are taking a huge chance.

Real Name
Chris
Nice series Francis! I like how it starts off quiet with the reeds and water, builds through the tracks and bridge, then is suddenly punctuated with the noise of the passing train, the rrxing sign and a dirt road, then fades to cows. Excellent story telling, with building action, then a climax followed by a calming conclusion to bring us to the end.

And judging by the other responses, fraught with the emotional impact of immediate danger! Bravo - extremely well executed, especially for a spur of the moment shoot. ... Well presented with the symmetric mix of horizontal and vertical shots too.

Oi! Thanks for your concern, everyone! Sorry if my story made it sound worse than it actually was. Thanks for the kind words :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom