Been busy changing black and white images to colour

Many6 thanks to all for the kind feedback and comments...really appreciated and encouraging.

Really pleased you enjoyed looking...thank you.

Very best wishes

Ray

JLH

I think these were great! I always find it interesting that some want to change new color images to black and white while others change the old black and white to color. People always like to "mess with things". I do enjoy seeing the old photo's colorized as it helps to see things as they were. Some people actually think things were "dull" in the past! If you ever get a chance to see it watch "They Shall Not Grow Old",. the film the British had done for the 100th anniversary of WW1. They dug out tons of old film, sent it to a state of the art company in New Zealand and they restored it and colorized it with the latest techniques. It was like modern HD when they were done. Some of it they even did in 3D! I saw it on one of the few days they showed it in theaters but it can also be found on Blue Ray and on Amazon (and likely other places). Its great and really shows how colorization can make a big difference.

I think these were great! I always find it interesting that some want to change new color images to black and white while others change the old black and white to color. People always like to "mess with things". I do enjoy seeing the old photo's colorized as it helps to see things as they were. Some people actually think things were "dull" in the past! If you ever get a chance to see it watch "They Shall Not Grow Old",. the film the British had done for the 100th anniversary of WW1. They dug out tons of old film, sent it to a state of the art company in New Zealand and they restored it and colorized it with the latest techniques. It was like modern HD when they were done. Some of it they even did in 3D! I saw it on one of the few days they showed it in theaters but it can also be found on Blue Ray and on Amazon (and likely other places). Its great and really shows how colorization can make a big difference.
Thanks JLH...yes. so true....we do like to change things...

I don't know how on earth they do it with movies though...adding colour must be an incredibly time consuming exercise.

Thanks for looking and appreciate your feedback.

Best wishes Ray

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I don't know how on earth they do it with movies though...adding colour must be an incredibly time consuming exercise.
From what I have read the basic process is that the first stage is pretty much what you do, with just one good frame in a clip. Then a computer program, with human help, tracks the movements frame by frame. Then the colours can be applied automatically to all the frames. I'm sure that is followed by lots of touching up where it goes wrong, and new things enter the scene.
I'm guessing that before starting on the colours it all goes through standard clean-up followed by processing to intelligently upscale it to HD. (I experimented with the Topaz AI software that does that. It took 24 hours to do 7 minutes of film, but works well.)

From what I have read the basic process is that the first stage is pretty much what you do, with just one good frame in a clip. Then a computer program, with human help, tracks the movements frame by frame. Then the colours can be applied automatically to all the frames. I'm sure that is followed by lots of touching up where it goes wrong, and new things enter the scene.
I'm guessing that before starting on the colours it all goes through standard clean-up followed by processing to intelligently upscale it to HD. (I experimented with the Topaz AI software that does that. It took 24 hours to do 7 minutes of film, but works well.)
Wow Richard....many thanks for that...quite a task and obviously immense computer power.

Thanks for the explanation which makes sense.

Best wishes Ray

Ray - You have definitely been busy. The one of Grace Kelly (I think) in front of the steamer trunk and of the boys at the water pump were my favorites. All of the shots were very well done and I really enjoyed taking a look at each one. Thanks for posting.

Ray - You have definitely been busy. The one of Grace Kelly (I think) in front of the steamer trunk and of the boys at the water pump were my favorites. All of the shots were very well done and I really enjoyed taking a look at each one. Thanks for posting.
Thank you John,

They were great fun to do and really relaxing.

So pleased yopu like them and I appreciate you looking.

With best wishes

Ray

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom