Beep! Beep! --------------------

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Nov 1, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    We couldn't believe it when we looked out in the backyard this afternoon and had our first visit by a Roadrunner!! I saw one of these in the wild over 20 years ago and haven't seen one since then until today. Really difficult to stalk before he ran out of the yard and back into the woods. I only got a couple of shots, not the best, but here he is --

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Don that is just to cool.
    I have never seen one of those. Really neat bird

Guess the coyote is chasing him..lol Couldn't resist

They are great pics, especially the secod one.

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done Don
    He's on my short list to get an image of, heard of some in the Hi Desert area about 1hr 1/2 from me, just might have to hunt em down :wink:

4. Isn't that fun Don. I too saw one near my house and just happened to be carrying my D100 equipped with my new 300mm f2.8 lens. I had just enough time to snap off one image and it turned out great. I have never seen him since. Good shots you have here, especially the second one.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Don, that must have been a real thrill. I really like the 2nd one, but both are definitely keepers. :smile:

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Cool! Don, where do you live? I was thinking you were in the Houston area, didn't think we have them this far east. Only place I've ever seen them was last spring on our trip to Big Bend.

7. They are the greatest birds! Quite a few in our neighborhood.
    I have one that hangs out by my pool (north San Antonio).
    The bird and my dog play chase. Like the cartoon, the bird always wins.

We do have occasional coyotes and foxes here too. I'd suspect the real predators might prevail in that one!

They are so hyper-vigilant...I've not gotten a good shot.

[​IMG]

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks for the comments, everyone! I also prefer the second shot. It was an interesting experience to see him -- first spotted by my wife and we saw him quickly catch one of the many lizards that hang out in our yard. We thought he was out of the yard before I got outside with the camera, but, he must have been hiding in the bushes. Saw him a second time and captured him on that try.

Jeff - I was also very surprised to see the Roadrunner in this area. I live north of Houston (The Woodlands) and usually see mostly egrets and herons on the pond behind my home. Maybe it's an indication of how dry our summer and fall have been in the Houston area.

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I you would like to get some more pics. I suggest you contact your local ACME dealer for their latest catalog. :)

Oooh, its now on the web. Here is the link

http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme/acme.html

I prefer Acme Anvils myself.

Meep Meep!

10. That's just too cool!

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks for the link, Patrick! A wonderful website -- I didn't realize they had so many great products at ACME!:smile:

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I like the 2nd one, they are hard to photograph. Their reputation is well-deserved. I hear a bowl of bird seed with some lead shot mixed in slows them down.......(No, don't try it, I'm not serious, it didn't work for Wile E. the genius, either!)

13. Nice Road runner, but where is Wiley Coyote??

14. Great capture Don! I swa them a fair amount as a boy in the desert of arizona, but would get highly excited to see one again.
    Dave

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice little capture, Don. I have been to AZ several times but have never seen a roadrunner in the wild. I did just see one at the Brookfield Zoo though and he/she wasn't interested in being being photographed.

16. It is always great to see a bird that one hasn't seen before. Actually this is the first picture I have seen of a Road Runner - I wasn't sure they existed outside of Disney LOL