Beer in Black and White

Rather than watch TV tonight, I embarked on playing with DXO-PL4 and some old images. I was in search of things that were best in black and white.

1. A deep dark stout from Bend, Oregon.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. A wheat beer from Germany, fresh and lemony.

3. A line up of strange bed-fellows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One more, maybe a prescription for the next few days (in the US). Though I hope not.
W4001_Nik-1.jpg

Nice shots, looks like you have been investigating the exotic section. Are the beers as good as the labels?
I like the Oregon breweries stuff, even went to their microbrew festival some years back in Portland.

Nice shots, looks like you have been investigating the exotic section. Are the beers as good as the labels?
I like the Oregon breweries stuff, even went to their microbrew festival some years back in Portland.
They are all very different from each other. Oregon still has a thriving and creative micro/craft brewing industry.

I really like the 3rd and 4th photos.
Thanks Mike.
The beers were relatively easy to work with, but the downtown scene was much more particular. It had a range of colors and tones that took very differently to filters and presets. It was startling and instructive to see the crosswalk sign (yellow) react to a blue filter——now you see it/now you don't!

All wonderful b&w's, Nick!
#1 & #2 could definitely serve as a commercial product image for those brands.
And #3 is a certain indication of your thorough research :)

Also like the street scene. Always impressive when a mood one would assume relies greatly on colours is conveyed so well in b&w.

let me know if you need help emptying the bottles since those are dark and absorb your lighting 😛
It's a deal.
My beer consumption has really taken a dive ever since my son I visited Belgium, 2 years ago. Been sticking with wine for some reason. My wife prefers wine, and since retiring I no longer go out with my college kids for happy hour. But a dark beer or 2 when it's cold, and a light refreshing German when it's hot.

Interesting photos, Nick. Did PL4 help much compared to your previous version?

The beer looks interesting, too. I am familiar with that Deschutes Obsidian Stout...one of our favorites here. A few years ago Deschutes announced a new brewery for Roanoke; they even opened a tasting room downtown with lots of publicity. Tasting room is still open, but the brewery seems to be on hold indefinitely.

Last edited:
The original work was in PL3. All I did yesterday was send it to SilverEfx.
I remember their plans for expansion. Several yers ago, it was all the range to have East-West partnerships. But that seems to have died down. I much prefer the smaller craft houses, with distinctive styles and annual/batch variation, just like most wines.

Thanks Ben, Bob, Binnur and Ron. B&W conversion can be a lot of fun and rewarding—or a total bust. Fortunately this time i had time on my side, and no looming deadline.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom