Bees macro pictures

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by daodang, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Two macro shots at bees last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those little animals have teached me a vertue... patience... and have given me a backache. May be I better go to South Florida to see Backdoctor...lol

My respects.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Dao,

Could you give us your Exif info on these. Also, what lens?

Excellent, I love macro. Just got a Sigma Dg-140 ring flash for my macros.

Thanks,

3. Beautiful and what detail and color. You have done a great job in capturing these images.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Dao....

I'm with Patrick. I'd like to know what your cam / lens / lighting / etc. set-up was on these very excellent shots.

Frank

5. Hi Patrick,

Here the EXIF.

Picture #1
    Camera D100
    Lens TAMRON 180mm Macro XR Di
    Exposure 1/250s f/11 +0.3 EV
    Metering 3D matrix
    ISO 720
    In-camera normal sharpening
    WB Auto
    Tripod

Picture #1
    Camera D100
    Lens TAMRON 180mm Macro XR Di
    Exposure 1/250s f/13 +0.7 EV
    Metering 3D matrix
    ISO 400
    Flash SB800 with Lumiquest pocket diffuser
    In-camera normal sharpening
    WB Auto
    Tripod

It was a sunny day with cloudy periods. So in the first picture, I decided to use high ISO instead of the flash fearing the flash would give an unatural lighting. In the second picture, the flash was used to lower the contrast because half of the sunflower was overcast by another sunflower.

I'm tempting to get the Sigma ring flash but I find its price a little bit high (arounf $450 CDN) for a ring flash. Si I will wait until this summer hoping the price will drop.

Thanks for viewing.

6. Hi Gordon,

Thanks. I was pleased with the job done but it came with a painful backache.afterwards. I was spending at least 2 hours around the sunflowers bush, sometimes staying still for a long moment because these bess were trying to scare me away from their feeding ground.

Cheers.

7. Dao,

Wonderful shots. I wish I had your patience. And as for the backache, Come On Down!

Would love to go shooting with you some day.

8. Your photo of the yellow and black striped insect.

I hope you do not mind me saying that this is not a bee. It is in fact a hoverfly of the Subfamily SYRPHINAE. I am not able to specify the tribe within the family as this is a large group and all the markings are very difficult to see in this picture.
    I do like the detail you have of the head and eyes, plus the wonderful sensory hairs that are linked to the nervous system.
    I feel a little aukward making my first post a correction of an identification, but I am hoping that this is the type of informative posting that this forum would like to see from me, if and when applicable.
    BW. Bob F. England. :oops:

9. Re: Your photo of the yellow and black striped insect.

Hey Bob, good information and just the kind of thing that will help all of us. Now what I want to know is whether a hover fly will sting like a bee?

10. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee?

Thank you for that reply. I feel less embarressed now.
    Hoverflies are just that. FLIES. They are indespensible as pollinators and a large proportion of the world's wild flowers are pollinated, in part, by this Wee Beastie and its associates.
    I am not sure of the number of species there are world wide, but we have 276 and counting in the UK.
    Watch them hover and marvel at their wonderful dexterity. The Hummingbirds of the insect world, which should make Uncle Frank a happy man!!
    BW. Bob F. :D

11. Re: Your photo of the yellow and black striped insect.

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry not to reply promptly to your post. I don't mind at all. Instead, I thank you for the provided informations. I know that the «beast» of the picture #2 isn't a bee but I don't know what it is. That why in the title, I just mention the picture #1 bee. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Nest time, I know to whom I must go to get informations about those little insects. Thanks again for the clarification.

My respects.

12. Please feel free,

to contact me on any ID that you may require, and I will do my best to oblige.
    There are going to be times that I will be able to give a broad answer, as I am in the UK and I am not very conversant with the 1,000,000s of overseas insects. Having said that I am fairly good on species, so that will point you in the right direction.
    BW. Bob F.

13. Re: Please feel free,

A great thanks, Bob. Besides, in your signature, you mention about sewer. Coincidently, I'm an engineer working in the field of wastewater treatment. So I think somehow we are meant to met. :D