Beethoven's 9th Symphony @ Tanglewood

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Aqualung, Aug 25, 2008.

1. This past weekend we took the kids out to Tanglewood (their first time) to hear a performance by the Boston Symphony Orchestra of Beethoven's 9th Symphony conducted by Christoph von Dohnányi, accompanied by a full choir. This is the traditional closing to the BSO's summer season at Tanglewood. It was a great day, weather was perfect.

We went the lawn route and brought our picnic lunch, after visiting the Norman Rockwell Museum nearby (see this thread).

1. My youngest. 70-200 wide open.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-022.

2. A typical family, loaded for a picnic. The matinee picnics tend to be less elaborate than the evening ones.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-027.

3. Caught someone doing what I was doing :biggrin:
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-041.

4. Libation...
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-050.

5. Nice couple making the rounds.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-051.

6. A nearby table. If it was evening, candelabras, fine linen, and silverware would have ruled.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-057.

7. My three girls.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-064.

8. Some of the crowd, looking toward the 'shed'. The matinee, while crowded, was nowhere as bad as other concerts I've been to; usually there isn't a free bit of lawn.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-075.

9. After the show we went west (away from the crowds) and had an early Vietnamese dinner in West Stockbridge to let the traffic die out.
    tanglewood%20aug%2024%2008-080.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Chris, thank you for this thread. You really took me back to my younger days. I lived in Albany for 13 years through college, medical school and residency training. Summer concerts at Tanglewood are my fondest memories of those years. James Taylor every summer. Numerous evenings spent listening to the wonderful sounds of the BSO and their fantastic guests while marveling at the elaborate picnics set out by so many on the lawn.

I miss those concerts now that I have moved to Florida 15 years ago. Thanks for taking me back with these great photos.

3. hey Mitch, you're quite welcome. You sure were close by in Albany. Ah, the 'local' boy JT, he was back this summer for 2 shows...and over the years I've seen lots of non 'symphony' shows there like "The Outlaws", kind of a strange feeling :wink:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cool. I love the look of these photographs! And I can hear the second movement too.

5. Hi Chris,

Nice event and very nice pictures.

6. thank you very much Chris & Arthur....I'm hoping to go back this weekend for their Jazz festival...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.