Before and after - my workflow on this image

Many of you have asked me how I process my photos. I am using this image to describe what I commonly do. (I do have many variations! :biggrin: )

Here is the Before image that has be resized for posting showing Madam Wee at her 90th birthday on Apr 29th waving goodbye.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I then did the following to achieve the final image.

1. Levels
2. Multiply blend
3. As the blend above would darken the image I used the Eraser to lighten up areas I felt needed it. This was done to taste.
4. I felt that to get a better impact I repeated Steps 2 and 3.
5. Resized for posting
6. Final USM to taste.

Here is the finished product.

I am technically no PS guru and I hope the above description is simple enough to understand. Otherwise I would be happy to answer the best way I can if you have any queries. :wink:

A

adzla

nice PP... really put some lively skin tones rather than the original without PP..that looks pale

I like the before actually
The dragon look is ok. Good work
But she just looks to sweet...

Thanks Banhup. I am a fan of the look you give to your images, so I will give this approach a try this weekend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
nice PP... really put some lively skin tones rather than the original without PP..that looks pale
Thanks aszla.

I like the before actually
The dragon look is ok. Good work
But she just looks to sweet...
She is indeed a sweet and wise lady. I just enjoy talking to her.

I understand why you like the Before image better. She looks much sweeter in that. This pp is just an illustration as to how I would like to emphasise the lines which makes her image more dramatic. If I am to give her a print I'll select the Before image anytime.:smile:

Thanks Banhup. I am a fan of the look you give to your images, so I will give this approach a try this weekend.
You are welcome, Simon. I hope you have fun. :biggrin:

Banhup,

I love your processing, well done as always!

When you apply step 2, is this done on a new layer or using a mask? How many layers are we talking? I'm just having a hard time following your workflow based on what you shared above.

Thanks for sharing this with the community!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Banhup,

I love your processing, well done as always!

When you apply step 2, is this done on a new layer or using a mask? How many layers are we talking? I'm just having a hard time following your workflow based on what you shared above.

Thanks for sharing this with the community!
To apply a blend you must have at least 2 layers. After you apply Levels you already have a new layer. Just apply the Multiply blend. After erasing I flatten the layers before I carry on with the next step.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
To apply a blend you must have at least 2 layers. After you apply Levels you already have a new layer.
I think you're losing folks... because you don't get a new layer by just adjusting levels.

Do you create a duplicate layer and then adjust the levels and change the blending mode of the newly created layer

OR

do you adjust the Levels and then create a duplicate layer and change the blending mode?

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
This is really a cool processing technique that opens the doors to experiment... Banhup's got this down to a system so I'm not going to try to duplicate his end result. I like the way it adds substance to the images so I played a little with this picture of Laralea. This is what I came up with.

I always thought the original was just a bit too flat.

View attachment 93664

Wow, this is cool. Thanks for sharing. So do you just vary the opacity of the "multiply blend" to taste?

To apply a blend you must have at least 2 layers. After you apply Levels you already have a new layer. Just apply the Multiply blend. After erasing I flatten the layers before I carry on with the next step.
I must assume you create a levels adjustment layer and then apply the blend mode the that adjustment layer?

-or-

As Woody said, do you dupe the original layer, adjust levels then blend?

This is still a little confusing...

Thanks for sharing this info though!

G

Gr8Tr1x

Nicely done. Woody, your fix is a great improvement...it really pops now, IMHO.

Banhup.....your post is just a tease.......more detailed info puhlease!!!

If you're really in the mood to share how about a full blown tutorial with screen shots?!?!:wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom